2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class 5.4L V8 7-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Road Trip

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK55 AMG - Consumer Review

Road Trip
By SLicK55 on

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl 7A)

We all know it is blistering fast, fun to drive, and a real head-turner. The SLK 55 is also a very civilized beast. I use mine as a daily commuter, and it is a joy to drive, even in heavy traffic. The car is just as comfortable on longer trips. I've just returned from an 800-mile trip, and it was one of the most enjoyable drives I have ever experienced. I was also pleasantly surprised to find I averaged 26 mpg, driving at 75 mph! Mileage was the same with top up or down.

Favorite Features

Acceleration. Drop-top, with heated seats and Airscarf. Sound of the exhaust. The tranny. Seat comfort and style. Head-turning quotient. Great weekender car, but why not drive it all the time?

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder placement. Ipod integration is ridiculously expensive, and doesn't even integrate with the nav screen. Seat adjustments are quirky, because of limited space in cabin. They don't always move the direction you tell them to, but with practice, they are very comfortable.