Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK280 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-benz Slk-class - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

Great Car!
By Vittoria

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK280 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great car. Bought it used with under 15K miles, get better than rated mpg, quick, solid, turns heads, loads of fun convertible hard-top design is awesome.

Favorite Features

Perfect size, smooth ride, use the convertible all the time.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any.

Perfect Convertible Except...
By dweezilb

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK280 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I test drove the Z4, Audi TT, and Miata, but found the SLK to be the best balance of practicality and fun. I love the way it corners while still eating bumps with the standard Mercedes THUD (this is my 3rd Mercedes). I think it has the best, most organic curves of the contemporary two seaters, plenty of power, firm but comfortable seats, and enough room for two weekend bags. My only gripe - and it's a big one - is the rattles and squeaks. I drove 3 SLKs and they all produced noises over bumps. I think it's a side effect of the hard top.

Favorite Features

Security of hard top convertible. Fuel economy (my 225hp 3 litre engine gets 29mpg highway) Sensual curves

Suggested Improvements

Better damping of roof seals, trunk divider, glove box, or whatever else rattles and squeaks over bumps. A car this expensive shouldn't make so much noise. A radio with aux input.

I LOVE this car!
By vinochickie

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK280 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car because I had always wanted a convertible. What a great first convertible experience! This car turns heads everywhere I go. The pick-up is great! The fuel economy listed is less than the 25mpg I've been averaging. It handles really well no matter where you may be. Great for sharp turns or straight roads.

Favorite Features

Hard-top convertible and ease of retraction. The stereo is pretty incredible too.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders above the stereo were a poor design idea. Any condensation will land on the buttons. I've been placing a napkin in there to avoid drips. I wish the defroster would also have multiple speeds instead of turbo blast.

Nice convertible
By J. Michael

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK280 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased this as a 3rd car, primarily for weekend use, but I find myself driving it evenings also, just tooling around. It's a blast, drives great, turns heads with the top up or down (and especially when it is being retracted). Solid engine, perfect "rumble," seats are comfortable, great stereo, nice handling, etc. It is a great-looking car, and a lot of fun!

Favorite Features

Hardtop convertible

Suggested Improvements

For constant soda drinkers like us, the cupholders are terrible, but there wouldn't be a lot of room anywhere else in the car. MB ought to consider holders like BMW uses in the 6 Series.

Perfection
By Jim

2006 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK280 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I really love this car. I also own a 2004 SLK 230. All the issues I hated about the SLK 230 have been fixed with this new generation. Car does not hunt the road on rutted highways anymore, smoother ride. This car will get 27 mpg if you behave yourself. I can't say more about how much I love this one. This is my fourth MB and so far it is the best one.

Favorite Features

Cornering, acceleration, smooth ride compared to my 2004 SLK.

Suggested Improvements

Didn't buy the Harmon Kardin system. Stock radio stinks. MB should develop an an after market upgrade for those who did not buy HK sytem. Stock system really stinks. You can't really hear it very well with top down. A $50,000 car should have a premium radio without being gouged another $3000.00