2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Consumer Review: Nice Drive

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class - Consumer Review

SLK350 Convertible (3.5L V6 6-speed Manual)

Nice Drive
By Sherm on

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I agree with Edmunds on the pros, but not the cons. You are getting much more car for the price than its peers and I find the blind spot negligible. I test drove the Lotus Elise and Boxter S. Both have slightly tighter suspensions. The Elise handling was amazing. The Boxter has a horrible blind spot and the SLK interior is far superior to either, especially the Elise. The engine is spectacular, very smooth and great torque even at low RPM. When I combined interior comfort, styling and the retractable hardtop, there was no question which car to buy. So far I haven't been let down. The SLK is a blast to drive, the air scarf is fantastic. Only regret, I didn't get the rain sensor wipers.

Retractable hardtop takes just 20 secs either way. The airscarf along with the heated seats extends top down driveability significantly in northern climates. I love the exterior styling, big improvement, and the engine is a gem.

Rain delay sensor should be standard. Without it there is just one delay setting. I don't think I would sacrifice the smooth ride for tighter suspension and handling. For my driving style it there wasn't a big enough difference between the Boxter or Elise.