2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Consumer Review: My First Car

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible - Consumer Review

My First Car
By trickypeng2 on

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is for people who are ready for a sportscar and the convenience of the convertible. Maybe for a graduation present, or newly weds, this car doesn't come cheap. If you want the looks, you WILL, I guarantee to you, will get the looks from curious and jealous people you pass in the streets. The car is pretty fast of a 0-60 time in about 5.4 seconds, which is nothing to complain about. If you want to get this car for the luxury name of Mercedes-Benz, this isn't the best model to consider. However, on the bright side of the car, you will thoroughly enjoy the great handling and sports-car like exhaust and ambiance that you will greatly receive from this SLK. Not made for long road trips!!

I really liked the exhaust note of the V6, the soft-touch material on the dash and door, Hard-top 22 sec up and down convenience into the trunk area, and you can't forget the looks :). I know this may be a bit humble response, but I appreciate the displayed spedometer in the screen, very convenient if you don't want to decipher the dial. Mine doesn't come with the fancy navi or Harman/Kardon sound system, however, the regular stereo will NOT disappoint! The road noise is extremely quiet for a sports car and the sound of the V6 engine just comes through the interior giving a sporty feel. **I ran out of room in the improvements section**: The Hardtop roof rattles/vibrates over rough surfaces.

My SLK has a problem with the climate control when I try to set the dial to my selected temperature, it takes a good 3-5 minutes to actually get to the temp., leaving me in a sweltering hot car or the frost-bit nose condition. Also, the middle center storage compartment is just crap. It is EXTREMELY hard to open and when you finally do you probably have gotten a hernia after the fact and a broken storage cover...not expected from a MB. A few other things they should improve (or may already have in the R172) are increasing the trunk size a bit more to fit a regular luggage and possibly make the ride less rough so I won't break my teeth over potholes, etc.