Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz Slk-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

Most Helpful|
The Benz your father never owned
By Gregory Coyle

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

After looking around the country for the perfect SLK 350, I found it in Lincoln, Nebraska and flew there on 11/4/05 to purchase the car and drive it back to Dallas. It was by far, the most enjoyable eleven hour drive I have ever made in any car. The handling was superior to anything I have ever driven; the amenities provide you with not only a sense of safety but comfort and entertainment as well. The superior styling of the automobile was evident by the number of people on the highway that waived or gave me the "Thumbs Up." MB has come along way in the last 20 years in its use of advanced technology that provides the comfort and safty the American public demands. Just test it!

Favorite Features

Body styling, quick acceleration and the comfort of the roomy interior. AMG designs great wheels!

Suggested Improvements

The front end of the automobile is only 6 inches off the ground in my sporty model. A couple times I have heard the front undercarrige of the nose "scrape" the pavement in instances where the road is rough.

Nice car, crummy company
By raddoc

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

My SLK350 was trouble free until 1850 miles. Since then the check oil light has come on at least 4 times. Each time it required adding 1-2 quarts . The dealer denied a problem, but I eventually discovered that there are TSBs covering this issue- MB was not forthcoming in admitting a problem. The car is great fun to drive, but I have serious concerns about long- term ownership, reliability and resale value. Lease it, don't buy it.

Favorite Features

Handling, design, quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Honesty with consumers.

Nice body style, terrible engineering
By jones

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This was my dream car when it came out. I immediately traded in my BMW Z4 for this SLK350 "donkey". It was the worst decision of my life. The car does draw attention, if that is what you are into. The car spent more time in the shop than on the road. Replaced a manual transmission at 34K and now needs another. The engine acts as if it does not get enough air and strains in the lower power curve. The car is a reliability nightmare and does not perform like it has 268 hp, closer to 200 hp. Mercedes has consistently failed to stand behind the car and has denied there are issues even when they have released multiple internal documents on its poor performance. Last MB I will ever own.

Favorite Features

Looks that's it.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the engine and transmission. Redesign the interior to add more leg room for men rather than for women. Go back to the drawing board completely for the engineering. This car is pathetic.

Nice wrapper on a German beer can
By petemac

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

The car looked beautiful in the showroom, and the it still does. However, the compliments on its apperance in no way makes up for the lackluster performance and the slipshod engineering. I have back problems driving the car any longer than 2 hours. It runs like it is an out of breath patient. My Z4 (2004) could have run rings around this nanny goat. The car burns oil like it doesn't have rings and the dealer wants in brought in to monitor oil consumption since many have had engines replaced. If it was placed on a dynometer in the US there is no way it would produce the listed 268 HP. At 36K it had to have a transmission replaced. Overall it is a dog. Don't buy one, worst car I've owned!

Favorite Features

None. The car is a dog! Save your money and buy from a car company that stands by its products since MB doesn't.

Suggested Improvements

The only good points are its looks. Otherwise start over. The engine should be scrapped and the tranny is a joke. Worst car I have ever owned.

My SLK 350 stinks!
By Billy

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've purchased this new SLK 350 long before any other dealers has it in stock. The car was a lot smaller than I expected. The engine has not enough power unlike the S class.. It feels more like a Chrysler crossfire than a Mercedes! in 2 months I had to take it back to dealer 6 times to replace parts. Worst quality luxury car ever!

Favorite Features

Handling is not as smooth as BMW, but okay. Fuel consumption is not too bad

Suggested Improvements

Interior is too small for big guys. A very girly car. Poor quality, chrysler like interior... no way to worth that price