Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

Pretty Great Car
By Bill Pierce

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

What a car. People stare at all the time. It is very comfortable, and I am not a small person. Leg room is exceptional. Driving position is perfect. I drive this car around just because I want to, and the destination is unimportant.

The 'vario-roof'--nav system---sound system--flexibility of the seat positions.--very comfortable with the top down, even in cold weather.

Absolutely must change the gearing in the 6-speed. The car is geared too low, especially first gear. The second one lets the clutch out, it is time to shift.

Just Awesome!
By JP

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK55 AMG 2dr Roadster (5.4L 8cyl 7A)

I traded in my 2003 Audi TT for a SLK 55AMG with all possible options, which I chose to buy over a 2006 SLK 350. This car is incredibly fast. The roar of the engine is music to enthusiasts' ears. The cockpit although somewhat "enclosing", is comfortable, well designed, built with nice materials, and complements the sport look of the exterior. The audio system is a blast. The air scarf, although unpractical for Florida, is very different amenity to have in your car. The exterior attracts lots of attention on the road and while parked. I prefer the top up. Acceleration is a thrill, and gas mileage is not that bad for 8 cylinders.

Acceleration. Style/looks. Audio system. Navigation system. Sport AMG seats. Dashboard

Either eliminate or relocate cup holders. More intuitive navigation system. Lock for gas cap. More visible alarm lights (e.g., such as Audi's). Bigger asthray. Add storage space in the cockpit (e.g., puches, pop-open hiden storage space) to make up for the usless glove compartment.

It's Too Much Fun
By Richard

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I just purchased my first roadster - a pre-owned 2005 Launch Edition. I have never had so much fun driving a car before. I am in awe of all the attention received by just driving down the street. There is a feeling of such exhilaration every time I'm behind the steering wheel. All I can say is that it's too much fun.

The Airscarf coupled with the heated seats is a feature that I just can't live without. I am also impressed with the excellent steering and handling. Also, the styling is quite eye catching. And, last but not least, the retractable hardtop.

The cup holders need to be repositioned so that they are in a useful place. I also would like the stereo system to be able to fade (from front to back) and not just balance (from side to side).

SLK Always being Repaired - Stay Away
By M Davis

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is always in the shop, the oil light came on in the first 1000 miles and was in the shop 4 times before the car had 5000 miles on it, Dealer actually suggested I had to put oil in the car. SRS system went out and electronics are flakey as well as the convertable top. Mercedes quality has gone way down hill, as well as their customer service. They tell you when you buy, that you will get a like kind loaner when your in for warranty repair. But you get whatever rental car the the in house rental agency (currently Enterprise) has for you. So after paying for a Mercedes, I find myself in a Ford Taurus quite a lot. Plastic pieces seem to break on the body very easily. Dont buy.

Make the car reliable and take care of customers, This is starting to feel like GM where all they care about is the bottom line.

Very Happy
By dbynum

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK55 AMG 2dr Roadster (5.4L 8cyl 7A)

I have owned C5& C6 Corvettes (in Europe). SLK55 is on par with them in performance. I selected the Corvette in Europe over the SLK because SLKs are limited to 155/176mph. On the Autoban performance in the left lane is the name of the game. Stateside the SLK retractable hard top is a plus to the SLR styling.

Performance, styling