2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK350 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz Slk-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 SLK-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

Love Love Love It
By johonna

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

By the title of my review, you should already know I absolutely love this car. I bought mine used with almost 100K miles for a song and it looks brand new. As many posters state, it does get a lot of attention which wasn't exactly my intention but every time people comment or give those looks I just chuckle because its actually the least expensive car I ever bought and not sure why everyone doesn't have one :) It is in excellent condition and have absolutely no concerns with its reliability. Also, despite others complaints about the trunk, I was able to put a set of golf clubs, beach chair, small suitcase in the trunk with the top down!

Favorite Features

Hard Top Convertible Acceleration MB Roadside Assistance Size

Suggested Improvements

The coating/paint on the interior surfaces is a little dull and difficult to clean

My First Car
By trickypeng2

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is for people who are ready for a sportscar and the convenience of the convertible. Maybe for a graduation present, or newly weds, this car doesn't come cheap. If you want the looks, you WILL, I guarantee to you, will get the looks from curious and jealous people you pass in the streets. The car is pretty fast of a 0-60 time in about 5.4 seconds, which is nothing to complain about. If you want to get this car for the luxury name of Mercedes-Benz, this isn't the best model to consider. However, on the bright side of the car, you will thoroughly enjoy the great handling and sports-car like exhaust and ambiance that you will greatly receive from this SLK. Not made for long road trips!!

Favorite Features

I really liked the exhaust note of the V6, the soft-touch material on the dash and door, Hard-top 22 sec up and down convenience into the trunk area, and you can't forget the looks :). I know this may be a bit humble response, but I appreciate the displayed spedometer in the screen, very convenient if you don't want to decipher the dial. Mine doesn't come with the fancy navi or Harman/Kardon sound system, however, the regular stereo will NOT disappoint! The road noise is extremely quiet for a sports car and the sound of the V6 engine just comes through the interior giving a sporty feel. **I ran out of room in the improvements section**: The Hardtop roof rattles/vibrates over rough surfaces.

Suggested Improvements

My SLK has a problem with the climate control when I try to set the dial to my selected temperature, it takes a good 3-5 minutes to actually get to the temp., leaving me in a sweltering hot car or the frost-bit nose condition. Also, the middle center storage compartment is just crap. It is EXTREMELY hard to open and when you finally do you probably have gotten a hernia after the fact and a broken storage cover...not expected from a MB. A few other things they should improve (or may already have in the R172) are increasing the trunk size a bit more to fit a regular luggage and possibly make the ride less rough so I won't break my teeth over potholes, etc.

Nice car but not an S2000
By tye.s2k

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I own a HondaS2000 and refuse to trade that roadster for this one. I bought this 2005 with 11K but noticed the brakes aren't as smooth or crisp as my S2000. The driver side rear window doesn't raise perfectly and the rear tail light just went out. This v6 has tons of power but quite simply its a sports car, not a race car. The car is much to soft to reliably do the things I've done & can still do with my S2000 (105k). It is a nice car to cruise, and "look cute" in. So as long as you treat it like a delicate baby, I imagine the car will be fine. If you want 360 donuts, & drifting.. get an s2000! - trust me.

Favorite Features

Luxury features, nice highway drive, quite cockpit .. and of course, the looks you get when you are in it. ;)

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage. less body roll.

Road Trip
By Readie Eddie

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Road trip from eastern Minnesota through the Black Hills Area, South Dakota in early September 2009.It was hard to get everything in we wanted to take but the ride and performance were great. Approximately 1300 interstate miles and 500 mountain hairpin curves. Overall mileage was over 27 MPG. A great trip till I tried to clean off the grasshoppers. They just won’t wash off. Front grill and nose of the car is slowly getting better but I have never seen anything so hard to get clean.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seats and holds the road better than my old Corvette did.

Suggested Improvements

Could use just a touch more space in trunk and interior of car.

SLK 350 2005
By hoss

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Great/fun to drive ! Looked at alot of other cars ( as close to it's class as possible )! Make no mistake, you buy this car and you will love every time you get in it! Lot's of looks! Lots of other people look at you with total jealously, knowing their car is not worthy ! Enjoy !

Favorite Features

A Benz man ! You are There!

Suggested Improvements

Lower the price any time !

The perfect Sports Car
By Richard

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I am not sure what all these Z4 owners are posting here, but the Z4 feels like a toy in comparison to the SLK350. First, this car handles very well at high speed. The Z4 seems like is going to loose control. Second, the hardtop is a huge plus. It accelerates very well, in the mid 5 secs, and the engine sounds like a race car. I have had this car for almost 4 years with only one minor problem that was fixed during the first maintenance. It has been the best car I have ever had.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, hardtop, looks

Suggested Improvements

There are a few things to improve. First, the seats are not very comfortable for long rides. Nevertheless, after almost 4 years they look almost the same. Second, the material they use over some of the plastic parts starts to peel after a while. I would re-position the cup holders too.

Wow, I love this car!
By Rob

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned this Merc for approx. 6 months now and I am so pleased. It turns heads everywhere I go! It stands out from the crowd of other convertibles (Porsches and BMWs). It took me a year to find one with just about all the features I wanted (would have liked the wood accent int). This is not inexpensive to maintain ($75 to change the oil myself). Also, have a winter beater if you live in the North.

Favorite Features

22 second hardtop, Harmon Kardon audio, COMMAND head unit, heating package, lighting package

Suggested Improvements

Opening armrest storage is difficult, ventilation controls are confusing, 1st gear is basically useless

What a Rush!
By Jockeyjohnny

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought a mars red 2005 SLK 350 following my heart attack. What a joy to drive, with the 6-speed manual transmission bringing back memories of my youthful sports car days. I have owned it for a month and have not put the top up yet and I live in rainy Oregon. I just don't drive it in the rain. It is very fast and looks so elegant that it draws constant stares.

Favorite Features

The styling is exceptional; much better looking than other cars in its class. I love the Air Scarf, a stroke of genius on the part of the MB designers. A very-visable nav screen.

Suggested Improvements

The cup-holders are kind of "Mickey Mouse".

Nice body style, terrible engineering
By jones

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This was my dream car when it came out. I immediately traded in my BMW Z4 for this SLK350 "donkey". It was the worst decision of my life. The car does draw attention, if that is what you are into. The car spent more time in the shop than on the road. Replaced a manual transmission at 34K and now needs another. The engine acts as if it does not get enough air and strains in the lower power curve. The car is a reliability nightmare and does not perform like it has 268 hp, closer to 200 hp. Mercedes has consistently failed to stand behind the car and has denied there are issues even when they have released multiple internal documents on its poor performance. Last MB I will ever own.

Favorite Features

Looks that's it.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the engine and transmission. Redesign the interior to add more leg room for men rather than for women. Go back to the drawing board completely for the engineering. This car is pathetic.

The perfect car
By Lon

2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK350 2dr Roadster (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I drove a few different convertibles, and was impressed with the folding hardtop (less unique than it used to be), heating system (airscarf), the performance, and great looks. I have had a good experience with the reliability of this car. I've driven 10,000 miles in 15 months, I have not experienced any problems. I have gotten as much as 28 mpg, though it's around 20 in the city.

Favorite Features

Airscarf and the heated seats (mutliple settings - max is really warm) makes it possible to drive in pretty cold temparates. In a short sleeve shirt I've been out lots of times in the 50's at night. With a coat I comfortably have driven in the 30's at night. Great for driving in the mountains.

Suggested Improvements

None.