Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-benz Slk-class - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

Great Car After All These Years
By

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I owned my 2004 SLK 230 until this past November when I traded it in on a BMW Z4. Although I do love the BMW, I will always have a place in my heart for the Mercedes. I kept the SLK until it had over 147K and it was as solid and reliable on the day I traded it in as the day I purchased it. It was and probably remains a truly outstanding car and despite my joy in driving the BMW, the Mercedes will always be remembered as a wonderful car that gave me nothing but GREAT service.

Favorite Features

Folding hard roof at a time when few cars had such an option, solid coup like qualities from a convertable, wonderful pick-up from a supercharged that gave me about 30 miles a gallon, beautiful styling etc.

Suggested Improvements

None

GREAT CAR
By bobportney

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have now owned my car for over 31/2 years and it has 125k miles on it. I purchased the car in Nov. of 2006 and at the time it had 16K miles. I have now put over 109K miles on it and nothing has ever gpone wrong or prevented me from getting where I had to go. I have serviced it on a regular basis and it has performed very well. The reason I bought the 2004 SLK in 2006 was because my 2002 SLK was hit by another car and I wanted a new one but didn't like the body style of the 2005-2006 model. I remain very happy with my SLK and await the next body style when I will most likely get another SLK. Robert Portney, MD

Favorite Features

The car has a body style that is beautiful, it gets good fuel economy, is comfortable, fast and is inexpensive to run. What more could I possibly want?

Suggested Improvements

The car gets excellent traction in the snow but I would love all wheel drive.

My SLK Love Affair
By Robert Portney, MD

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have had this SLK for almost 3.5 years and despite the cars age and having 103,000 miles on it, it still feels rock solid and runs and looks like new. I purchased this vehicle for $12,000 plus my old SLK in 11/2006, even though the 2002 car had almost 90,000 miles on it and had been in a terrible accident. Thus, for a relatively small amount of money, I have had two beautiful cars that people think cost a lot of money but in reality only cost 10 to 15 cents per mile plus gas to run. In short, both MB SLKs have been extremely reliable and fun cars to drive and represented sound investments. That is why I plan on buying another SLK when the new models arrive in 2012. Robert Portney, MD

Favorite Features

Folding Hard Top and Great Acceleration

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps the seats could be a bit softer.

Wheeeee!!!
By Jim

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Most fun car to drive that I have ever owned. Car handles like a go-cart. I don't think you could spin it out. Have the Special Edition with the wider low profile tires. Been very reliable except during cold weather, a supercharger interlock sticks, causes a check engine light and shuts off supercharger. Need to take it in to have the code cleared to restars supercharger. Dealer claims it will reset itself but it doesn't. You may buy a code analyzer to do this yourself for a couple hundred. Other than that, be prepared to buy new rear tires and brake pads every year. Overall, the fun factor outweighs the issues with the supercharger and excessive maintenance of wear parts.

Favorite Features

Cornering, acceleration. Car jumps from 60 to 90 in no time when you downshift a couple gears.

Suggested Improvements

Corners like a gocart but also has the ride of a gocart. Very rough ride. Front wheels hunt the ruts in the highway. You really need to actively drive this car. You can't be lazy with the steering wheel. Doesn't handle rain very well. Hydroplanes excessively and traction control doesn't help.

Still Great After Almost 80000 Miles
By Robert Portney, MD

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased this car after my 2002 SLK had been in a terrible accident and I was able to walk away without any injuries. I loved my old car and wanted another SLK but didn't care for the new body style. I found this one on-line and purchased it from a local MB dealer and have had nothing but great service. I have an extended Mercedes warranty that will soon expire but I plan on keeping it until either this fall or sometime next year. I would love to find another low mileage used SLK with the old body style but fear they may be getting too old. I have had NO PROBLEMS with my car and will consider a new SLK Mercedes.

Favorite Features

Hard Roof Folds Into Trunk

Suggested Improvements

It has been safe, reliable and sexy transportation that gets over 30 miles to the gallon. What more could I desire from a car.