2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:
Great Car After All These Years
By on 06/21/12 21:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I owned my 2004 SLK 230 until this past November when I traded it in on a BMW Z4. Although I do love the BMW, I will always have a place in my heart for the Mercedes. I kept the SLK until it had over 147K and it was as solid and reliable on the day I traded it in as the day I purchased it. It was and probably remains a truly outstanding car and despite my joy in driving the BMW, the Mercedes will always be remembered as a wonderful car that gave me nothing but GREAT service.

GREAT CAR
By bobportney on 01/24/11 21:23 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have now owned my car for over 31/2 years and it has 125k miles on it. I purchased the car in Nov. of 2006 and at the time it had 16K miles. I have now put over 109K miles on it and nothing has ever gpone wrong or prevented me from getting where I had to go. I have serviced it on a regular basis and it has performed very well. The reason I bought the 2004 SLK in 2006 was because my 2002 SLK was hit by another car and I wanted a new one but didn't like the body style of the 2005-2006 model. I remain very happy with my SLK and await the next body style when I will most likely get another SLK. Robert Portney, MD

My SLK Love Affair
By Robert Portney, MD on 04/08/10 21:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have had this SLK for almost 3.5 years and despite the cars age and having 103,000 miles on it, it still feels rock solid and runs and looks like new. I purchased this vehicle for $12,000 plus my old SLK in 11/2006, even though the 2002 car had almost 90,000 miles on it and had been in a terrible accident. Thus, for a relatively small amount of money, I have had two beautiful cars that people think cost a lot of money but in reality only cost 10 to 15 cents per mile plus gas to run. In short, both MB SLKs have been extremely reliable and fun cars to drive and represented sound investments. That is why I plan on buying another SLK when the new models arrive in 2012. Robert Portney, MD

James Bond Car
By John on 08/24/09 20:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK320 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This Mercedes Benz will be collectors Car soon, the first SLK. It has the feel of Mercedes Benz and the look of a James Bond Car. Great for weekend get a ways for two or Mercedes Benz Club events. These cars will start increasing in value soon and everyone will want one.

Wheeeee!!!
By Jim on 08/09/09 11:30 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Most fun car to drive that I have ever owned. Car handles like a go-cart. I don't think you could spin it out. Have the Special Edition with the wider low profile tires. Been very reliable except during cold weather, a supercharger interlock sticks, causes a check engine light and shuts off supercharger. Need to take it in to have the code cleared to restars supercharger. Dealer claims it will reset itself but it doesn't. You may buy a code analyzer to do this yourself for a couple hundred. Other than that, be prepared to buy new rear tires and brake pads every year. Overall, the fun factor outweighs the issues with the supercharger and excessive maintenance of wear parts.

Still Great After Almost 80000 Miles
By Robert Portney, MD on 04/18/09 11:51 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I purchased this car after my 2002 SLK had been in a terrible accident and I was able to walk away without any injuries. I loved my old car and wanted another SLK but didn't care for the new body style. I found this one on-line and purchased it from a local MB dealer and have had nothing but great service. I have an extended Mercedes warranty that will soon expire but I plan on keeping it until either this fall or sometime next year. I would love to find another low mileage used SLK with the old body style but fear they may be getting too old. I have had NO PROBLEMS with my car and will consider a new SLK Mercedes.

SLK 230 '04
By Robert Portney, MD on 01/22/09 21:57 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have had 2 SLKs over the last 6 years and the reliability has been perfect. I wouldn't have purchased a second one if I wasn't happy with the first car. I love the fact that it has a hard top and yet is a coup in the winter when we have a lot of snow and cold. I have had no mechanical problems with mine and although it is still under the CPO warranty until 6/13/09, the only thing that had to be repaired was the inside light. Even that did not cost me a penny. I love the car, the looks and the way it handles. I understand that the newer body style is a better handling car and will probably purchase a new one in about 16 months but for now I am very happy.

A future classic
By James T on 08/19/08 10:12 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK32 AMG 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl S/C 5A)

This is an exceptional car in every respect. In my opinion it's a future classic (only c.4,300made most in US) & has better looks than the latest SLK AMG's and it's rarer & faster. It's a pleasure to drive around town so much so that even my mum could drive it without knowing what it's capable of. It's a wolf in sheep's clothing and will decimate most challengers. When you want power it launches you as if you're strapped to a rocket and that power still keeps coming until your nerve or the road runs out.

Best sports car I ever owned
By galane on 01/05/07 14:08 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have owned many sports cars over my 45 years of driving, and this is the best yet. The handling is good, and reliability is tops. In nearly three years of ownership, it has not had any serious issues. Tail light recall is the only thing it has been in for other than the periodic maintenance that is covered by the warranty. It is such a keeper I am tempted to simply hang onto it for many years, instead of my usual three year trade. Kudos to Mercedes engineers for a fine vehicle.

Marketing driven not drive dependability
By dave on 05/10/06 06:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Roadster (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Most unreliable Benz car we ever owned (of 5). Constant electrical problems. Back to dealer over a dozen times-hard rains or car wash, meant alarm would go off, windows leaked, top and windows wouldn't open or close...constant heartache over this good looking poorly made car. We traded it in the day before the warranty expired. No follow-up by Benz ever.