Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-benz Slk-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

Best Car I Ever Had
By Myron T. Chambers

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This car is exhulerating to drive. Powerful, handles curves as if on rails. Hardtop operates like magic. No Problems after three years!

Favorite Features

Retractable hardtop. Handling. Power

Suggested Improvements

Move the speed control to the steering wheel instead of stick on column

Fun...But...
By RedHot

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Let me start by saying how much I love my 320. Looks sleek, nice handling. Over all a beautiful car. I got a really great price for it $16,000 off the orignal sticker price. I've had it a year and have put about 3,000 miles on it. However there are a few annoyances I've had with it. For starters the driver side window leaks so forget about taking it thru the car wash unless you want to get drenched. Sometimes the trunk doesn't stay open. My mom almost got her head sliced off taking the groceries out. The retractable hard top has been fixed 2x. And the biggest pain, The brake light continually goes out. Other than that everything is ok. I get a a lot of compliments and head turns.

Favorite Features

The body styling, retractable hard top.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe put the CD changer inside, cupholders in odd place.

Fun to Drive
By Brokerbob

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK 230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Traded my 4.0 S type Jag for this little roadster. That is for the wife. I'm 6'1 and I'm comfortable in the car. It's a fun car to drive! Fast, nimble, and great gas mileage. I have not had any problems with my hard top roof thus far. Fun to drive in the mountains of Norh Carolina with the top down. Haven't had any real issues with the car, mechanical or otherwise. My wife spilled coffee in the Triptronic shifter. $500 to get it fixed. Kind of a weird place to have a drink holder which sits towering above the gear shift lever in this car. I can be doing 100mph in the car and really not know it. Rides like a champ, and road noise is not as bad as I thought with the top up.

Favorite Features

Retractable hard top roof. Gas mileage is great

Suggested Improvements

Stereo controls in the steering wheel. I hate looking down to play with the stereo when I'm at 100mph plus.

Nothing Better
By BENZ23

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my SLK 320 with about 30,000 miles on it. I upgraded from my 1999 SLK 230 Kompressor. Ever since I have owned the car my only regret has been that I didn't own it sooner. Great gas mileage, not as great as the 4cyl. But the V6 in the 320 is worth it for the power and the smoother ride. Great handling, Great looks. I still take the long way home. Did very well the 1 and only time it got caught in a freak snow storm. 1st and last time it will see the snow though. All and all if you are looking for a great 2 seater car with pleanty of power, affordable gas, and a great headturner, then this is the car for you.

Favorite Features

Xenon headlights, heated seats. V6, style, too many to list

Suggested Improvements

Move the cup holders not the best place. Other than that I am a Mercedes buyer for life.

Simply recommendable
By Mark Ingenpass

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

A so far very reliable car with an excellent look and feel of quality and driving. Maintenance cost is high though.

Favorite Features

Drives like a roadster opened up and like a sedan with top closed. Acceptable trunk space when roof is closed.

Suggested Improvements

A better and more direct steering.