2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:
Jewel of a Roadster
By foodog on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Fabulous car with no vices. Bulletproof reliability and quality. While its not the sports car drive you will find in a Porsche it has a much nicer interior and an automatically retractable steel top. Also as a Mercedes its going to be safe if for any reason you get into an accident. If you are going to drive around a small roadster in SUV country you might want to consider this. The 320 6 cylinder motor makes this a much smoother, better sounding and quicker car than the 230. I never had any problems whatsoever with this car.

Dream Automobilie
By Danzig on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I feel very fortunate to have this car. It is so fun to drive. I bought it used and the Starmark extended warranty as well, so I have 6 yrs of warranty left on it. Paint job is not as smooth as it should be. Minor problem with the trunk opening. But other than that, the car has been perfect. I cannot conceive having or wanting any other car. I plan on having it for many years to come.

Very disappointed
By WF on 10/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have had my SLK for 15 months - first 6 uneventful. Likes: Love the body style and the retractable hardtop. Little road noise. Car handles well and is relatively comfortable - even on trips for several hours. Dislikes: I now live at the Mercedes service department. Have had bad alternator, two separate tail light failures, leather flakes off door handles and center console, repairs on the roof and numerous other minor problems. All of these have been repaired under warranty - so just the inconvenience. Overall, I am very disappointed with the quality of this car. I expected more from Mercedes and will not be a repeat customer.

slk review
By rebecca1s on 09/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

fabulous to drive, safe and heads turn all the time.

Mechnical problem with my trunk
By bridgeman on 09/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Great car to drive or show-off around town, except a few issues w/ my truck. It is not the size, but had problem opening it when it is hot...think it is a mechanical issue...also read complains from other owners. The problem can be resolved by moving the roof (open or close) so the trunk will open up..but not exact Merc's quality.

The Perfect Car
By lynnslk on 09/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is the perfect car in town or on the highway. She acts like she has velcro on her feet in the rain. I would have to take some 'real' driving lessons to fully use her capabilities.

little yellow SKL320
By mb202576 on 06/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my "sunburst yellow" SLK320 in 2000 and love driving it any chance i get. The only drawbacks i have with it are: 1) issues with paint job 2) the ASB light and and dash light that is intermitted. otherwise it has held up great.

I love this car!
By jmt816 on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I've owned this car for just shy of 1 year now, and continue to love it. It is a great blend of style, comfort, performance. The ride is quite smooth and comfortable (actually better than many sedans!). And, considering it's a 2-seat sports car, I find it actually is reasonably practical too. Even with the top down (which reduces the trunk space), I can fit 8 bags of groceries in the trunk. And the constant comments & looks from other drivers & even people on the street adds a little extra enjoyment - I'm sure they'd all be shocked at how reasonably priced this car is (under $40k base). Overall, M-B has done a fabulous job with this car.

a joy to drive!
By tully man on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

A wonderful car for two people! Hard top retracting never fails to bring smiles. Overall drive is very sporty, not at all mushy, sticks to the road like glue with the right tires. Highly recommended for people without kids or as second (or third!) car for wekends. Not great in snow even with decent snow radials.

Just keeps getting better
By Houston-Ian on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I have been driving the car for just over a year now and it just keeps getting better. I opted for the manual 6 and this adds to the fun, great exhaust note too. When hard top is up it feels like a sedan. I have not had any problems and at 9000 miles it is now starting to get even smoother and loosen up a little. Highly recommend it.