Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-benz Slk-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

Excellent Convertible and Cute too!
By Yasmin Daniels

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Driving this roadster is not only luxurious, but also pleasant. When the top comes down, it is an absolutely sexy looking car!

Favorite Features

Interior and compact.

Suggested Improvements

The bumper is plastic and needs to be changed to metal for durability.

Most fun to drive ever
By LOVEMYSLK

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK 230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Only had it 3 months, but I just love it. The most fun to drive of any car I've owned. Great trunk space compared to competitors. Recent 1400 mile road trip averaged over 30 mpg cruising in the 80's over Sierra mountains. Takes curves like it's on rails. Comfortable for 2 on long trips.

Favorite Features

Hardtop convertible. Tiptronic shifter. Gorgeous to look at. Excellent acceleration for a 2.3 4 banger.

Suggested Improvements

Single disc cd and the changer in trunk. Get rid of cassette tape.

Hold back
By margie

My dream car is a nightmare. It has been in for repairs more than any other car I've owned. Many, many electrical problems. I have the passenger side brake light bulb changed on the average of once a week. Went to far as to have the entire unit replaced which did not make a difference. Had the motor mounts replaced at under 30k miles. The radio and turbo charger is new. I am getting rid of this horrid little car asap!! Don't let the asthetic appeal of this model of Mercedes fool you!

MBZ Owner
By SAK

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

We've owned MBZ's since 1986 and this is the most enjoyable of all. Like the hardtop convertible for driving in all types of weather in the NW. We swapped our '37 Ford streetrod for our SLK. It's much more practical and we drive it more. We've had no problems and enjoy every moment of driving, plus there's no room for the kids and dogs. MBZ did a great job of design and performance.

Favorite Features

Hardtop / convertible, Sport Package with AMG add ons, looks, performance, value

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any

Not for the long run
By Disappointed

I've had my SLK for almost 6 years. While it's sporty, fun to drive and I love the hardtop, it's not the MB quality I expected. I've had a problem with the O2 sensor, the computer chip for the hardtop (2 times), leaking windows, recurring taillight burnout, a stuck gas guage needle, and water leaking into the electrical system. This past year I've spent almost $5K in repairs.

Favorite Features

The hardtop.