2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:
SLK rhymes with Silk!
By Joel123 on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The SLK320 is a beautifully sculpted vehicle and I would have bought it on that alone. Handling and performance are excellent for the price. Comfort and space is excellent for my 6'1" height.

Driving Machine!
By rgl on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Having driven earlier MB models in the 1970's and 1980's, I am impressed with the lack of stodginess in this vehicle. The SLK 320 looks, drives and feels like a true sports car. I can not find anything to dislike, and this car puts the FUN back in driving. I can't wait for spring so I can begin tooling around with the hardtop down. What a machine!

SLK 320 - FUN MACHINE
By Chirag on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Absolutely fun to drive. Feel the freedom with top off and Mercedes Engineering

MB SLK 230 - Great car
By danno230 on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK 230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Performs great, looks great, extremely fun to drive. Couple things to know - if you leave it in the sun, occasionally the hardtop gets stuck and to open the trunk you need to press down on it.

6'2" Driver with Room to Spare
By J's SLK on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

I wanted a porsche boxster but couldn't handle my height...went with a Chrome Yellow SLK 230 Kompressor and I am in heaven...the only thing i do not like is the SEATS! They should have put a more plush seat like in the SL. It took some getting used to but I smile everytime I get behind the wheel. AWESOME CAR. You have it all...sporty, classy, good gas mileage and a HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE! No other car in its class offers it...when will the others wake up?

The Most Affordable Hardtop Convertible
By TopDownSLK on 07/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I have always refrained from convertibles because softtops seem to cause the car to age quickly and also appear to be unreliable. Thanks to MB for its innovative technology, a retractable hardtop is like a dream comes true - incorporates the best of two worlds, not to mention it is the most affordable hardtop convertible out there as of this date. The SLK is too much fun to drive; the 320 model drives and sounds smoother especially during tight cornering; with wood trim as standard interior, it is even more classy and luxurious. I have had problems opening the trunk once or twice, but who use the trunk anyway!

Gotta love it!
By FDomke on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

This car is rock-solid, reliable and great fun to drive. People cheer when they see the smooth-operation, fully automatic transformation from coupe to convertible. Gutsy performance, utter reliability, and good economy. No problems at all.

What happened to MB?
By DaceMace on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

This is my first MB. The convience of the hardtop is their, but I have had nothing but problems. First the left driver's side panel was rubbing in the trunk. The front passanger side where the roof locks in, is protruding out. The dealership claims that it was the result of the windshield being changed. The compressor has been replaced, because the car resembling a diesel. Since I live in Arizona, I had my AC on yesterday and the heater just kicked on! Dealer stated that a chip malfunctioned, has been replaced and will not happen again. I'm disappointed in the MB. I just wish it held its value more, even mercedes doesn't want the car back!

Happy to have a real car
By Nivek on 04/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my 320 for almost 2 years and love it. I love it when I pull up next to some guy with a mullet in a mustang and smoke him off the line. I get more heads that turn from the great exhaust note to the killer xenon lights. I have replaced both fog lamps and many chips of my hood fixed from debris. P.S. Dont ever try the headlamp washers with the top down!!!!

Jewel of a Roadster
By foodog on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Fabulous car with no vices. Bulletproof reliability and quality. While its not the sports car drive you will find in a Porsche it has a much nicer interior and an automatically retractable steel top. Also as a Mercedes its going to be safe if for any reason you get into an accident. If you are going to drive around a small roadster in SUV country you might want to consider this. The 320 6 cylinder motor makes this a much smoother, better sounding and quicker car than the 230. I never had any problems whatsoever with this car.