Used 2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK320 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

Good car but small nagging issues.
By johnwinston

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Just bought car which has 130k miles. Saw issues when bought and am fixing but suprised as after car in production over five years mercedes never fixed since I have read all slk cars have following issues: 1). Interior paint flaking off 2) Exhaust rattle 3). Trunk and hood hydraulic hinges not holding trunk or hood up failing Love car and enjoy driving. If going on a weekend trip trunk holds very little if putting top down so pack light.

1). Great design 2). Fun to drive 3). Convertible and hard-top in same car 4). Quiet 5). Comfortable ride 6). Great visibility

Wish issues mentioned above were improved on in my model year (2001).

27 MPG in town
By Dr. Drewry

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This car actually gets 27 mpg in town rather than Edmunds 19 mpg statistic. It's a joy to drive and has required no major maintenance other than preventative along with tires, brakes and battery. They just don't build them like this any more! The most satisfying car I've ever owned.

Great Roadster
By John Montgomery

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car last year with approximately 76,000 miles on the odometer. No issues until recently when the on board computer had to be replaced for $1500 - ouch! It's amazing how smooth and quickly the car accelerates. Before you know it, you're doing 70 mph! I bought the car that was equipped with the optional SP1 Sport Package (Sculpted lower body with aerodynamic enhancements such as bumpers, side sills, projector beam front fog lamps, AMG alloy wheels and performance tires). This is my second car that I drive only on sunny days. I've gotten many compliments on the car and deservedly so.

Handling, sleek styling, retractable hardtop.

Needs oil pressure and voltmeter gauges, relocate cup holder and cruise control lever.

It was a fun experience
By Cynthia

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I totaled my SLK 320 when I broadsided a huge SUV. I loved that little car. It's solidly built heavy engine saved my life. I paid cash for the car in 2001 and I'm really disappointed at how much it had depreciated over the years. It did not hold its value well at all. My biggest complaint was with the interior around the gear shift. The coating flaked off and was unsightly. I've noticed this in other SLK vehicles. I didn't leave my car in the sun, so you can't blame the environment. On a long trip, it's not comfortable.

A convertible that doesn't make a lot of noise when the top is up. Good trunk space for a small car. Easy to take the top down.

Better quality materials around the gear shift knob.

Love it!
By Mark

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The car is magic to drive! I was scared about buying an SLK. I read mixed reviews. I decided to plunge and get it. The retractable hard top was a desired feature. I wanted Lexus sc 430 so I could drive my nephews, but couldn't find one with my price range. I love my silver. Interior is red and black leather, which matches university colors. Manual 6 speed was recommended and does add to enthusiastic driving..and limits my cell phone use because I need to shift gears - probably a good thing! This car has Bose sound system and quality sound with top down. Car maneuvers like a dream and accelerates sufficiently. Behind the wheel I know I have a well crafted machine at hand.

Driving it when 3500 rpms kick in in 2nd and 3rd gears! Top down! Fun to drive and be in. Looks ....wow! Gorgeous lines!

Seats are great for enthusiastic driving, but when long distance driving my back hurts and I can't find a comfortable position with the electronic adjustments. I imagine newer models have larger or more comfortable seats for long distances.