2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:
2001 SLK230
By hugalar on 04/26/14 13:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible (2.3L 4cyl S/C 6M)

I have owned this SLK230 for 5 years. I got it used with 42000, and now have 98000 miles on it. The only issue I have had is replacing brake lights a couple of times, the dome light goes out about once a year and thats about it. This car GREAT! People always ask me how much the car cost (annoying) because the way it looks. It looks like an expensive car, but I picked it up for a good deal. The interior is comfortable for a sports car, the stereo is amazing, the hard top convertible only takes 20 sec. to go down so it can easily be done at a red light. I have taken this car to its limits, fast cornering and hard breaking, so this car can handle all kinds of driving.

Fun but has a Dangerous flaw
By rsdeepsea on 04/10/14 05:29 AM (PDT)

Fun car to drive, very fast and sturdy. Reliable until my wife spilled a drink on gear shifter under cup holders, transmission locked up. Luckily she was in the driveway. Have read of people doing this @ 65mph and the car automatically skidding to a halt! That could kill someone! How does Mercedes not have to recall that and waterproof the PC board for the shifter? Right this second trying to dry it out so it will run again, hopefully without needing a new $700 PC board. BTW, removing/connecting battery cable requires a code to activate your radio again or you drive in silence: call the dealer for code.

27 MPG in town
By Dr. Drewry on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This car actually gets 27 mpg in town rather than Edmunds 19 mpg statistic. It's a joy to drive and has required no major maintenance other than preventative along with tires, brakes and battery. They just don't build them like this any more! The most satisfying car I've ever owned.

Great Roadster
By John Montgomery on 07/30/10 04:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car last year with approximately 76,000 miles on the odometer. No issues until recently when the on board computer had to be replaced for $1500 - ouch! It's amazing how smooth and quickly the car accelerates. Before you know it, you're doing 70 mph! I bought the car that was equipped with the optional SP1 Sport Package (Sculpted lower body with aerodynamic enhancements such as bumpers, side sills, projector beam front fog lamps, AMG alloy wheels and performance tires). This is my second car that I drive only on sunny days. I've gotten many compliments on the car and deservedly so.

It was a fun experience
By Cynthia on 07/15/10 11:44 AM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I totaled my SLK 320 when I broadsided a huge SUV. I loved that little car. It's solidly built heavy engine saved my life. I paid cash for the car in 2001 and I'm really disappointed at how much it had depreciated over the years. It did not hold its value well at all. My biggest complaint was with the interior around the gear shift. The coating flaked off and was unsightly. I've noticed this in other SLK vehicles. I didn't leave my car in the sun, so you can't blame the environment. On a long trip, it's not comfortable.

Awesome car great performance for 4 cyl.
By B on 05/02/10 19:47 PM (PDT)

Owned for about 6 months now. love to drive it, especially with the top down. bought with 180,000 miles on it, but it runs great and had it inspected privately; everything is in tip top shape for how many miles are on it. those Germans know how to make a quality car. the top squeaks a little when going over bumps - to be expected, minimal road noise for a convertible. tiptronic transmission shifts smoothly. plenty of interior features, very luxurious. if you buy a mbz, you need to take it to a dealership for service, or at least make sure you use strictly mbz parts, and approved fluids.

Great Car Fun to Drive
By Kanilure on 08/12/09 07:14 AM (PDT)

This has been a very reliable car. Very comfortable on trips with good lumbar support and excellent gas mileage. Actually got 33 mpg on one trip! Problems have been minor except for the catalytic converter, which was replaced under warranty by the dealer. This car has 80,000 miles on it and it will still get up and go and will stop on a dime!

Love it!
By Mark on 05/12/09 23:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK 320 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The car is magic to drive! I was scared about buying an SLK. I read mixed reviews. I decided to plunge and get it. The retractable hard top was a desired feature. I wanted Lexus sc 430 so I could drive my nephews, but couldn't find one with my price range. I love my silver. Interior is red and black leather, which matches university colors. Manual 6 speed was recommended and does add to enthusiastic driving..and limits my cell phone use because I need to shift gears - probably a good thing! This car has Bose sound system and quality sound with top down. Car maneuvers like a dream and accelerates sufficiently. Behind the wheel I know I have a well crafted machine at hand.

Luxury...hah!
By kegradtech on 04/20/08 15:04 PM (PDT)

My wife purchased this car in 2003 from with only 3000 miles on it...in other words still almost in new condition. It looks beautiful on the outside and is pretty fun with the top down on a nice spring day. Since then, it's been nothing but trouble. O2 sensor burn-outs and associated problems ($1300-1500). Constant electrical problems esp. with cruise control. All sorts of exterior lighting issues like a poorly aimed headlight that Mercedes says can't aim any truer (higher) than it is (it shines maybe 15ft in front of car). God forbid you accidentally don't screw your gas cap on tight enough cuz that'll run ya about $175 to get the check engine turned off by Mercedes- Benz

2001 SLK 230
By Bob Patterson on 03/30/08 05:03 AM (PDT)

Traded my 2000 Green Jag 4.0 sedan for this little car. All for the wife. Even though I've heard the nightmares about MB quality not being what it used to be. I've had real no issues with the car. It gets really good gas mileage. Not bad for long drives. Great in the North Carolina mountain roads. Only bad thing. The wife spilled coffee into the triptronic shifter. $500 bucks to get that fixed. Odd place to have a cup holder in a car. MB replaced the rear tail light lense for both sides under a warranty recall. Put some Michelin Exalto tires on this car and it made all the difference in how it handled and felt on the road.