SLK230 Longterm Owner
By texcarman on
1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible
I bought my '99 SLK230 new. It is the base model and my favorite commuting car. I now have over 110K on it and it has been a very good car. I have had what seems to be pattern failures on the vehicle. MAF sensor right around 70K miles, K40 Relay failed at 78K and I found and re-soldered the melted connection and it has been good ever sense. I did encounter a noisy camshaft variable timing unit which was the most expensive part I've replaced, part cost was close to $400. and I'm a Euro car tech so fixed it myself. The electrical connector on the transmissions leak fluid about every 5 year/50K miles. I've replaced one plastic shift bushing and think the second one is now due.
Favorite Features
Looks good, quiet and dry for a convertible, sporty driving with plenty adequate performance, yet good fuel economy from 25-28 mpg. Great A/C too and it still looks way better than one would think for a 15 year old car. I bought and sold a couple of higher mileage SLK230's and they both returned to very presentable cars with only cosmetic and small repairs. think these cars are real bargains if one can do any work themselves. Nice comfortable for short or longer drives. My vehicle is the automatic yet it required I choose a standard shift model.
Suggested Improvements
The painted plastic on the interior is well below expectations for MB, or anyone else for that matter. It is also a fairly big job to remove and refinish properly, but holds up well afterwards. The staggered tires wear at different rates and the rears always wear out first and get painfully noisy not befitting the vehicle. The exhaust note is pitiful and not sporty sounding at all.
By lynn106
on 07/10/14 09:46 AM (PDT)

We have the same car and need to hear from you as to how you repaired the interior. It looks like a dark grey film was put over the shiny black interior on the middle console. The dark grey stuff is peeling off. We want to either find a way to remove it all or cover over it.