1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Consumer Review: Fun Car

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class - Consumer Review

SLK230 Kompressor Convertible (2.3L 4-cyl. Supercharger 5-speed Manual)

Fun Car
By chaunceyoj on

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought this car for my Mom in November of 1988. She was 82 years old at the time, and while she loved the car, she was mad we did not get the stick shift! She always liked the SL's. I took my driving test in a 190 SL back in the 50's. It was a stick shift. When I visited her in Fla,she would take me out in her 230 SLK. The original tires gave out in 10,000 miles. It also had the roof problem, but that was fixed under warranty. Her car is silver with a red and black interior. They apperently used some type of red paint on the interior parts, and that started to chip, Mercedes did repair some on a selective basis. Mom passed away in 2007. She drove until age 90. Car is in CT now with 15,500 miles on it

A very tight sports type car. The top makes it great for all weather.Takes the curves well, you can manual shift the auto transmission. 30 + MPG on the highway, 24 around town. You don't see a lot of them.

Cup holders are in a silly place. Better head lights. Seating should be more padded, these are like an Austin Healey with headrests. Radio antenna system seems to have problems, replaced twice, needs better wiring. Instruments are a bit old fashioned for a 1999 car.