Fun and reliable Mercedes roadster
By thraxman on
1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Sport 2dr Convertible
My car is a '99 SLK230 Komp with sport pack, in auto. The build quality is mechanically solid, though interior is minimal with some cheap bits (expect rattles, paint flaking). An all weather daily driver, put about 20k miles on it in 2.5 years, and nothings failed yet (at 90k miles). The drive is sporty and stiff, with moderate accel (185hp/ 200ft lbs). Road volume's loud, but so is the Bose stereo. Interior accomodations are perfect for smaller people, as the wheel base is pretty short, but big people will feel cramped. In general, a great little convertible with classy style that is fun at safe speeds and has a driving experience I enjoy. It's just better than its competition...
Favorite Features
Styling. Supercharger. Vario Roof. 6 cd changer.
Suggested Improvements
More power. Better interior paint on the plastics.
By rlw1946
on 02/12/14 16:53 PM (PST)

I own a '99 Mercedes Benz SLK230 Kompressor with 64k on it (2014). This car has been a solid, dependable, fun to drive, auto. In the time I've owned it, there was 1 problem; the roof locking hyd. unit failed. I located a local Co. that rebuilds them for $65! So I replaced it my self after the rebuild (M.B. wanted over $1,800). I installed a "GForce" performance module ($65), an easy install. This added over 50hp. and 30 lb. ft. of torque while increasing gas mileage! I've driven it up to 150mph. with room to go!! GOOD car!!