1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-benz Slk-class - Consumer Reviews

1999 SLK-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

SLK230 Longterm Owner
By texcarman

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought my '99 SLK230 new. It is the base model and my favorite commuting car. I now have over 110K on it and it has been a very good car. I have had what seems to be pattern failures on the vehicle. MAF sensor right around 70K miles, K40 Relay failed at 78K and I found and re-soldered the melted connection and it has been good ever sense. I did encounter a noisy camshaft variable timing unit which was the most expensive part I've replaced, part cost was close to $400. and I'm a Euro car tech so fixed it myself. The electrical connector on the transmissions leak fluid about every 5 year/50K miles. I've replaced one plastic shift bushing and think the second one is now due.

Favorite Features

Looks good, quiet and dry for a convertible, sporty driving with plenty adequate performance, yet good fuel economy from 25-28 mpg. Great A/C too and it still looks way better than one would think for a 15 year old car. I bought and sold a couple of higher mileage SLK230's and they both returned to very presentable cars with only cosmetic and small repairs. think these cars are real bargains if one can do any work themselves. Nice comfortable for short or longer drives. My vehicle is the automatic yet it required I choose a standard shift model.

Suggested Improvements

The painted plastic on the interior is well below expectations for MB, or anyone else for that matter. It is also a fairly big job to remove and refinish properly, but holds up well afterwards. The staggered tires wear at different rates and the rears always wear out first and get painfully noisy not befitting the vehicle. The exhaust note is pitiful and not sporty sounding at all.

Fun car, troublesome power top. 5 speed manual.
By carguy2021

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

Cool car, but the top can be very troublesome (and expensive to fix). If you are considering buying, make sure top is in good working order. Fun to drive, but 4 cylinder is a little weak and doesn't sound great. Bose stereo is terrific. Ride is harsh, but to be expected. No mechanical problems in the 10k miles I've had the car (90k-100k), seems reliable. Also, be careful you don't close the top on something rigid - you will shatter the rear window glass. Ask me how I know.

Favorite Features

Two tone interior, classic styling, heated seats, Bose stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Power top reliability, 4 cylinder engine sounds rough. Manual transmission linkage feels horrible -- rubbery and vague.

too much fun!
By Dan in Ca

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought my SLK in 2006 with 110,000 miles on it. I've owned six Benzes, all used when I bought them. The SLK is the most expensive to maintain and worth every penny. One reason I bought this car is the manual transmission, something SLs haven't had in the US since 1972. It's way too easy to get a speeding ticket with this car. I actually prefer a soft top with seasonal hard top (as on my 190 SL and 230 SL) The retracting top is OK too but needs maintenance.

Favorite Features

Looks great from all angles. The metallic blue is outstanding. Good balance between go-power and mileage (mine averages 27). Great stereo and good AC.

Suggested Improvements

Should have a full size spare tire, or at least one you don't have to inflate before installing.

1999 SLK230
By Mick

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought my 1999 SLK used in September 2008 with only 25,000 miles on the odometer, which is very low miles for a 9 year old car. This model has a timeless style that still looks new....everyone who see's it cannot believe its not just a couple years old instead of 9. It's definitely an attention getter, mine is black on black. I now have 38,000 miles on it and all I've had maintenance wise is oil changes and tires. At 52, I plan on this being the last car I own, I'd never get rid of it!

Favorite Features

Retractable hardtop, timeless styling,

Suggested Improvements

Better quality interior assembly for an almost $50,000 car. Dash and console paint peels off, and door panels are glued, not screwed into the door frame, and can separate.

Great Car
By Spoonbill

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought this car for my 80 year old mother in 1999.She had a lot of nice cars over the years. I took my driving test in her 190 SL in 1955. This SLK was her last car, she passed away in 2007. Presently it only has 16800 miles on it. Silver body, red and black 2 tone seats. It is a bit uncomfortable, not much seat padding. The supercharger provides quick pick up. It did have a top problem early on,that was fixed in a recall. It also had an interior paint problem. Some of the dash and side panels are red painted plastic. The red paint started to flake. I understand the Mercedes did fix some of them early on. I had it repainted. The base color on all SLK's interior plastic was black.

Favorite Features

Top is great, no worry about canvas. Gas milage 30 MPG on the highway. Draws a lot of attention still, in spite of the age, this one looks new, and it is with only 16 K miles.Lots of low end torque, surprises a lot of the big guys at a stop light. Air pump included with spare tire. Good buy today.

Suggested Improvements

Needs to have radio updated for today's stations. If you get an original painted interior, check it out, and,if necessary have it painted, does not cost much. Seats need more padding.

Fun Car
By chaunceyoj

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought this car for my Mom in November of 1988. She was 82 years old at the time, and while she loved the car, she was mad we did not get the stick shift! She always liked the SL's. I took my driving test in a 190 SL back in the 50's. It was a stick shift. When I visited her in Fla,she would take me out in her 230 SLK. The original tires gave out in 10,000 miles. It also had the roof problem, but that was fixed under warranty. Her car is silver with a red and black interior. They apperently used some type of red paint on the interior parts, and that started to chip, Mercedes did repair some on a selective basis. Mom passed away in 2007. She drove until age 90. Car is in CT now with 15,500 miles on it

Favorite Features

A very tight sports type car. The top makes it great for all weather.Takes the curves well, you can manual shift the auto transmission. 30 + MPG on the highway, 24 around town. You don't see a lot of them.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are in a silly place. Better head lights. Seating should be more padded, these are like an Austin Healey with headrests. Radio antenna system seems to have problems, replaced twice, needs better wiring. Instruments are a bit old fashioned for a 1999 car.

1999 Merecedes SLK230 Kompressor
By Jim Brown

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I puechased my pre-owned 1999 SLK230 in 2008, for $9995. It had 115,000 miles on the odometer. The near flawless exterior burgundy paint finish, and the excellent unretouched condition of the interior hinted that this car had not been abused. The SLK230 looks best when viewed from a 3/4 view at the rear. It is definitely sexy, and draws a lot of attention when being driven. This car is best put through its sportscar paces when driven by an experienced driver who knows how to shift the 4-speed automatic tranny manually. Downshift to 3rd when entering a curve, and then floor it at the apex of the curve. It will rocket out of the curve as if on rails. And still give 25-30MPG. Wow

Favorite Features

Supercharged engine combines high power output with excellent fuel economy. Stunning body style

Suggested Improvements

Mercedes wood center console upgrade. cup holders!

Best of the Best
By Greg

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

This is the very best car I have every owned and driven! The only flaw that needs to be mentioned is the interior "rubber/vinyl" paint finish, applied to components, peels off after long exposure with human body parts resting on it. Example the outside of your knee where it touches middle console and where your arm rests(due to body temp. & moisture). It will also chip-off, if your not careful, when fastening the seat belt as it can stike middle console as well(Mercedes-Benz please fix). Cheers!

Suggested Improvements

Do not use a rubber/vinyl paint as a finish on interior components. Have the option of all leather or some other material/finish which will not peel & chip off.

'99 Mercedes SLK 230 Roadster
By Jamie

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought this 4-year old used roadster for $22,000 out the door. This has been the funnest cars I've ever owned. I've had some minor problems but nothing too pricey. Brakes lasted only 15,000 miles which I thought was a bit soon, but since it's a safety feature no sense fighting. No other major issues to report. Biggest issue is the lack of trunk space. If it's a choice between my golf clubs and my wife, my clubs are in the passenger seat. She can drive herself. :) Overall, a fun, well-built car.

Favorite Features

Manuevers well--in traffic and into parking spaces. Great sound system Visibility is wonderful.

Suggested Improvements

A deeper trunk, but that would ruin the sleek look so that's a minor concern.

I luv my bumble bee!
By sherri83

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Convertible SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought this car about 3 months ago with 70,000 miles on it, and it has been nothing but a complete joy to drive for me. I am one of the few that took the plunge and bought the yellow, and this car stands out in the crowd and definitely draws a compliment everywhere I go. It is fun to dirve, but definitely has the Mercedes feeling to it, sexy with a lot of luxury and style!

Favorite Features

Size is perfect for me, 22 year old female, but has a large trunk- moved long distance and was surpirsed at what I could stuff into that thing! LUV air conditioning, 6 cd changer, beautiful, classy engine sound, handles very easily, lots of little compartments inside to organize and keep things.

Suggested Improvements

Roof is kind of hesitant sometimes when i'm putting it back up. That is the only thing that bothers me, and I know I will eventually have to get it fixed. The seats are a bit uncomfortable, expensive oil change