1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:
SLK230 Longterm Owner
By texcarman on 05/29/14 18:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought my '99 SLK230 new. It is the base model and my favorite commuting car. I now have over 110K on it and it has been a very good car. I have had what seems to be pattern failures on the vehicle. MAF sensor right around 70K miles, K40 Relay failed at 78K and I found and re-soldered the melted connection and it has been good ever sense. I did encounter a noisy camshaft variable timing unit which was the most expensive part I've replaced, part cost was close to $400. and I'm a Euro car tech so fixed it myself. The electrical connector on the transmissions leak fluid about every 5 year/50K miles. I've replaced one plastic shift bushing and think the second one is now due.

Fun car, troublesome power top. 5 speed manual.
By carguy2021 on 07/25/12 12:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

Cool car, but the top can be very troublesome (and expensive to fix). If you are considering buying, make sure top is in good working order. Fun to drive, but 4 cylinder is a little weak and doesn't sound great. Bose stereo is terrific. Ride is harsh, but to be expected. No mechanical problems in the 10k miles I've had the car (90k-100k), seems reliable. Also, be careful you don't close the top on something rigid - you will shatter the rear window glass. Ask me how I know.

too much fun!
By Dan in Ca on 03/03/10 17:00 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought my SLK in 2006 with 110,000 miles on it. I've owned six Benzes, all used when I bought them. The SLK is the most expensive to maintain and worth every penny. One reason I bought this car is the manual transmission, something SLs haven't had in the US since 1972. It's way too easy to get a speeding ticket with this car. I actually prefer a soft top with seasonal hard top (as on my 190 SL and 230 SL) The retracting top is OK too but needs maintenance.

1999 SLK230
By Mick on 09/30/09 19:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought my 1999 SLK used in September 2008 with only 25,000 miles on the odometer, which is very low miles for a 9 year old car. This model has a timeless style that still looks new....everyone who see's it cannot believe its not just a couple years old instead of 9. It's definitely an attention getter, mine is black on black. I now have 38,000 miles on it and all I've had maintenance wise is oil changes and tires. At 52, I plan on this being the last car I own, I'd never get rid of it!

Great Car
By Spoonbill on 06/19/09 12:55 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought this car for my 80 year old mother in 1999.She had a lot of nice cars over the years. I took my driving test in her 190 SL in 1955. This SLK was her last car, she passed away in 2007. Presently it only has 16800 miles on it. Silver body, red and black 2 tone seats. It is a bit uncomfortable, not much seat padding. The supercharger provides quick pick up. It did have a top problem early on,that was fixed in a recall. It also had an interior paint problem. Some of the dash and side panels are red painted plastic. The red paint started to flake. I understand the Mercedes did fix some of them early on. I had it repainted. The base color on all SLK's interior plastic was black.

Fun Car
By chaunceyoj on 10/05/08 14:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought this car for my Mom in November of 1988. She was 82 years old at the time, and while she loved the car, she was mad we did not get the stick shift! She always liked the SL's. I took my driving test in a 190 SL back in the 50's. It was a stick shift. When I visited her in Fla,she would take me out in her 230 SLK. The original tires gave out in 10,000 miles. It also had the roof problem, but that was fixed under warranty. Her car is silver with a red and black interior. They apperently used some type of red paint on the interior parts, and that started to chip, Mercedes did repair some on a selective basis. Mom passed away in 2007. She drove until age 90. Car is in CT now with 15,500 miles on it

1999 Merecedes SLK230 Kompressor
By Jim Brown on 07/27/08 02:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I puechased my pre-owned 1999 SLK230 in 2008, for $9995. It had 115,000 miles on the odometer. The near flawless exterior burgundy paint finish, and the excellent unretouched condition of the interior hinted that this car had not been abused. The SLK230 looks best when viewed from a 3/4 view at the rear. It is definitely sexy, and draws a lot of attention when being driven. This car is best put through its sportscar paces when driven by an experienced driver who knows how to shift the 4-speed automatic tranny manually. Downshift to 3rd when entering a curve, and then floor it at the apex of the curve. It will rocket out of the curve as if on rails. And still give 25-30MPG. Wow

Best of the Best
By Greg on 07/16/06 04:46 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

This is the very best car I have every owned and driven! The only flaw that needs to be mentioned is the interior "rubber/vinyl" paint finish, applied to components, peels off after long exposure with human body parts resting on it. Example the outside of your knee where it touches middle console and where your arm rests(due to body temp. & moisture). It will also chip-off, if your not careful, when fastening the seat belt as it can stike middle console as well(Mercedes-Benz please fix). Cheers!

'99 Mercedes SLK 230 Roadster
By Jamie on 05/06/06 12:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought this 4-year old used roadster for $22,000 out the door. This has been the funnest cars I've ever owned. I've had some minor problems but nothing too pricey. Brakes lasted only 15,000 miles which I thought was a bit soon, but since it's a safety feature no sense fighting. No other major issues to report. Biggest issue is the lack of trunk space. If it's a choice between my golf clubs and my wife, my clubs are in the passenger seat. She can drive herself. :) Overall, a fun, well-built car.

I luv my bumble bee!
By sherri83 on 09/08/05 22:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought this car about 3 months ago with 70,000 miles on it, and it has been nothing but a complete joy to drive for me. I am one of the few that took the plunge and bought the yellow, and this car stands out in the crowd and definitely draws a compliment everywhere I go. It is fun to dirve, but definitely has the Mercedes feeling to it, sexy with a lot of luxury and style!