Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

View reviews for a specific SLK-Class model:

My SLK was a frustrating piece of engineering!
By troy lair

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

No doubt that Chrysler had an influence on the design of this car. The parts inside the car were very cheaply made and looses its shine and color. The car is a lot of work to maintain its look and ride. I would try to get the SL class or the CLK first before buying the SLK. It's really more of a barbie doll car, definitely not a man's vehicle.

SLK230 Longterm Owner
By texcarman

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I bought my '99 SLK230 new.
It is the base model and my favorite commuting car.
I now have over 110K on it and it has been a very good car.
I have had what seems to be pattern failures on the vehicle.
MAF sensor right around 70K miles, K40 Relay failed at 78K and I found and re-soldered the melted connection and it has been good ever sense.
I did encounter a noisy camshaft variable timing unit which was the most expensive part I've replaced, part cost was close to $400. and I'm a Euro car tech so fixed it myself.
The electrical connector on the transmissions leak fluid about every 5 year/50K miles.
I've replaced one plastic shift bushing and think the second one is now due.

Looks good, quiet and dry for a convertible, sporty driving with plenty adequate performance, yet good fuel economy from 25-28 mpg. Great A/C too and it still looks way better than one would think for a 15 year old car. I bought and sold a couple of higher mileage SLK230's and they both returned to very presentable cars with only cosmetic and small repairs. think these cars are real bargains if one can do any work themselves. Nice comfortable for short or longer drives. My vehicle is the automatic yet it required I choose a standard shift model.

The painted plastic on the interior is well below expectations for MB, or anyone else for that matter. It is also a fairly big job to remove and refinish properly, but holds up well afterwards. The staggered tires wear at different rates and the rears always wear out first and get painfully noisy not befitting the vehicle. The exhaust note is pitiful and not sporty sounding at all.

Fun and reliable Mercedes roadster
By thraxman

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Sport 2dr Convertible

My car is a '99 SLK230 Komp with sport pack, in auto. The build quality is mechanically solid, though interior is minimal with some cheap bits (expect rattles, paint flaking). An all weather daily driver, put about 20k miles on it in 2.5 years, and nothings failed yet (at 90k miles). The drive is sporty and stiff, with moderate accel (185hp/ 200ft lbs). Road volume's loud, but so is the Bose stereo. Interior accomodations are perfect for smaller people, as the wheel base is pretty short, but big people will feel cramped.

In general, a great little convertible with classy style that is fun at safe speeds and has a driving experience I enjoy. It's just better than its competition...

Styling. Supercharger. Vario Roof. 6 cd changer.

More power. Better interior paint on the plastics.

Fun car, troublesome power top. 5 speed manual.
By carguy2021

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

Cool car, but the top can be very troublesome (and expensive to fix).
If you are considering buying, make sure top is in good working order.
Fun to drive, but 4 cylinder is a little weak and doesn't sound great.
Bose stereo is terrific.
Ride is harsh, but to be expected.
No mechanical problems in the 10k miles I've had the car (90k-100k),
seems reliable.
Also, be careful you don't close the top on something rigid - you will shatter the rear window glass.
Ask me how I know.

Two tone interior, classic styling, heated seats, Bose stereo.

Power top reliability, 4 cylinder engine sounds rough. Manual transmission linkage feels horrible -- rubbery and vague.

Small, Simple and Fun!
By johnnylee123

1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Sport 2dr Convertible

This car is great. After I bought this car, I looked at many reviews on the SLK and it got a lot of scorn and bad reviews about bad handling and mediocre performance ect. But the SLK230 is honestly a fantastic car to own. I have the one with the sport AMG package which adds the AMG body kit and wheels, but not a suspension upgrade as I assumed until I looked it up. This car is built solidly, when Mercedes was good and not overly complicated with computers, and for that reason I believe its so reliable. The reliability for me could rival a Toyota, no problems at all. The handling is excellent. It stays flat in the corners and is extremely nimble with good steering feel.

Timeless Styling, I constantly get looks and compliments. Simple interior Build quality, the materials are built with durability that feel like it'll easily surpass the life of the car and not fall to pieces or break. Handling, flat cornering, responsive steering with good feed back. Many reviewers have criticized the SLK for having numb steering feel, however I think there talking about the SLK320 which uses a recirculation ball steering rack, the SLK230, I think, uses rack and pinion which gives feed back to the driver. Also the reliability of this car has been great, its simple without all those useless computers which causes electrical problems in the long haul.

None, extremely grateful to have this car! It is a heck of a lot better than taking the bus or walking.