Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-benz Slk-class - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class

SLK230 Kompressor 2.3L 4-cyl. Supercharger 5-speed Automatic - (17 reviews )

Marginal reliability
By perrydog

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

My friend and I both bought SLK's in 98 and had similar experiences with reliability issues.The top sometimes jams in a partially open/closed condition, tail lights have a propensity to melt, and the interior side panels were replaced twice under warranty due to separtation of the vinyl from the cardboard backing. Otherwise, the car is a blast to drive and really handles like a sports car. The seats initially feel like boards, but after a few minutes, they actually fell quite comfortable. Lots of power, and reasonable fule mileage, though it requires premium.

Favorite Features

The retractable hard top (when it doesn't jam) and the handling. Decent trunk space, even with the top down.

Suggested Improvements

Mercedes needs to give a customer more quality and value when you are spending over $40k for a car. Marginal radio, no CD, and a not so small number of repairs at Mercedes repair prices.

Fun little bling-bling car
By jgamiao

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

C'mon, an automatic retractable hard- top convertible! Plus, the rear glass is REAL glass. Many don't realize that ALL SLKs are convertibles...they're not dimes a dozen! Lots of roar under the hood. You can imagine how much zang that engine hauls. Its simple elegance of being a convertible hard-top just brings it into a class of its own. The top is ingeniously tucked away in the trunk with the simple tug of a switch. Fun and great for petite females like me, I don't have a clue why guys would try to stuff themselves in small sports cars. I'd advocate it as a chicks' car...surely.

Favorite Features

Retractable hard-top at an easy touch of a button. This car is the FIRST in its kind... the new Lexus version looks like it was designed for 50- to 60-somethings living in Florida.

Suggested Improvements

Create a lower level backlight positioned on the back of the rearview mirror, to give just enough illumination to the interior (to read a map, for example), instead of blinding both the passenger and driver with that single top light.

Used SLK 230
By Shahbaz

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I just recently purchased this car from a dealership with less than 26000 miles on it. Superb looks and a powerful engine. It drives like a dream and I am happy with it. The only thing I dont like about this car is its interior. The interior is made out of cheap plastic which is very un- expected of Benz. This car could have had a little more space which would have really helped since I am an above average build person.

Favorite Features

poweful engine, looks and the ability to handle very well on the road. This car just hugs the road and handles very well.

Suggested Improvements

get rid of the cheap plastic and create innovative ways of increasing room for cargo and life's little loads that we tend to carry around in a normal day.

The best ride of my life
By Don Duck

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I was lucky enough to buy this car off lease from one of my co-workers. I love the way it rides and handles the road. I can't believe how enjoyable driving has become since buying this car. My friends and family rave about it after riding in it.

Favorite Features

The retractable hard top is the coolest thing. I feel as if I have two cars wrapped in one. Cold weather roof closed and good weather the roof is off in less the 30 seconds. The best of both worlds.

Suggested Improvements

Move the cruise control to the steering wheel and give an increse in the number of windshield wiper speeds.

Quick on the Draw
By EEC

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

Great car - responsive, quick, head turner. Not in love with red and black interior - great on curves.

Favorite Features

Electric convertible top. Wide tires, cd in trunk, turbo

Suggested Improvements

Drink Holder is small, on top area of dash. Needs a 5-speed.