1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class - Consumer Reviews

SLK230 Kompressor 2.3L 4-cyl. Supercharger 5-speed Automatic - (17 reviews )
Great car
By CH on 08/08/09 05:45 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I love this car. It is a great ride and so much fun to drive. It is powerful enough and wants to go faster than the speed limit will allow me to drive; I feel in complete control of the car. It still drives almost as good as it did 10 years ago. The trunk holds more than you would think. I am short, so it is a great fit. Everything else I drive falls short. I will keep this car for as long as possible. If you want a sports car that is a joy every time you get in it and one that still turns heads, I can highly recommend this one.

98 mercedes slk
By suzie on 05/01/09 21:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

Have never had any mechanical issues. Drove it in east coast city traffic and the mountains in colorado- handled roads great and heated seats with convert top down were a luxury. Bought it because of the retractable roof- the SLK was the first convertible to do this and I never had a problem with it. have owned several other Mercedes from sedans to SUVs and this was definitely the most fun to drive, body style looked great ten years latter, paint held up- silver, but the interior was starting to wear- florida heat may have been a factor- the red paint on the dash and console was starting to melt and peel. So, with regrets I just traded it in. Other than routine maintenance no major repairs.

Fun Fun Fun
By bri90s on 08/04/08 14:13 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I got this car for my high school graduation. It is so much fun to drive. It accelerates great especially when in the 4th mode. Mine is bright yellow and it turns heads both when the top is up and down. The power hard top keeps the car cooler and warmer and takes only 30 seconds to come up/down. The sound system is superb and the heated seats are nice. Everything is great about it. It is far better than any other roadster. A must!

SLK Fever
By Bartley Porter on 08/10/06 12:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

This car is really fun to drive. It is very fast and corners incredibly. The only small drawback is it is a bit tight inside. I love this car! It gets great gas mileage and has wonderful snob appeal!

Great Car
By Noel Hill on 05/27/05 20:38 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

The dependability and performance of the car is nothing less than perfect. It looks good and the auto-top is wonderful with no rattles or problems

Marginal reliability
By perrydog on 03/23/05 17:11 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

My friend and I both bought SLK's in 98 and had similar experiences with reliability issues.The top sometimes jams in a partially open/closed condition, tail lights have a propensity to melt, and the interior side panels were replaced twice under warranty due to separtation of the vinyl from the cardboard backing. Otherwise, the car is a blast to drive and really handles like a sports car. The seats initially feel like boards, but after a few minutes, they actually fell quite comfortable. Lots of power, and reasonable fule mileage, though it requires premium.

Fun little bling-bling car
By jgamiao on 01/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

C'mon, an automatic retractable hard- top convertible! Plus, the rear glass is REAL glass. Many don't realize that ALL SLKs are convertibles...they're not dimes a dozen! Lots of roar under the hood. You can imagine how much zang that engine hauls. Its simple elegance of being a convertible hard-top just brings it into a class of its own. The top is ingeniously tucked away in the trunk with the simple tug of a switch. Fun and great for petite females like me, I don't have a clue why guys would try to stuff themselves in small sports cars. I'd advocate it as a chicks' car...surely.

Used SLK 230
By Shahbaz on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I just recently purchased this car from a dealership with less than 26000 miles on it. Superb looks and a powerful engine. It drives like a dream and I am happy with it. The only thing I dont like about this car is its interior. The interior is made out of cheap plastic which is very un- expected of Benz. This car could have had a little more space which would have really helped since I am an above average build person.

The best ride of my life
By Don Duck on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

I was lucky enough to buy this car off lease from one of my co-workers. I love the way it rides and handles the road. I can't believe how enjoyable driving has become since buying this car. My friends and family rave about it after riding in it.

Quick on the Draw
By EEC on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class SLK230 Kompressor 2dr Convertible

Great car - responsive, quick, head turner. Not in love with red and black interior - great on curves.