Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG - Consumer Reviews

SL55 AMG 5.4L V8 Supercharger 5-speed Automatic - (2 reviews )

What A Machine
By Tom M

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

This MB SL55 AMG is one of the most powerful, exciting vehicles I've ever owned. The performance is unbelievably good. I've timed my own full-bore start and got to 60 in 4.5 seconds. Handling is easily better than both a BMW M6 and a Porsche 911 Turbo S.(I've road tested both) Obviously, the retractable hardtop is the biggest party piece of the SL and it works beautifully in about 22 seconds. The interior is very well done and the Mercedes trademark massaging seats works wonderfully. But after a long distance trip, you will feel it for the ride is very firm. Fuel economy is not as bad as expected for a 500 horsepower V8. Expect like 15 city and 19 highway. Bravo Mercedes-AMG.

Retractable hardtop. Adjustable ride height. Automatic transmission. The thought of buying the SL before Mercedes ruins it with the new facelift.

With the roof up, the roof joints are heard adjusting and cracking, and that gets annoying after a while. It should have the availability of a manual transmission. Like all MBs, the turn signal stalk is below the cruise control stalk, so an accidental touch turns it on. The SatNav isn't the best.

SL55
By Howie

Overall I would recommend this vehicle to all who have the ability to own one. This vehicle is beautiful, fun to drive, powerful, handles well and is a real nice overall sports car. The electric top makes this a real gem. I like the car but maintaining a full tank of gas is a challenge. I waited my entire life to afford such a vehicle and now that I own it I must say it was worth the wait!

The 12 way seats with massage are terrific. I also enjoy the navigation system and bose sound system. The available bluetooth is a real comfort having not to put anything in your ear.

Easier access to the rear battery in order to keep a charge on it for optimum performance. I also find that the inflatable spare may be an issue in an emergency situation. I truly would like a full tire stuffed into the truck.