Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-benz Sl-class - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

Most Helpful|
Experienced Mercedes Man
By Alan

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I have owned several Mercedes in the past. I mostly prefer AMG models over the standard ones. This car is just gorgeous. I could have opted for the SL55 amg or the SL65 AMG, but to be honest they were very expensive. This car is not exactly cheap, but it sure is beautiful!

Favorite Features

I love the fact its a hardtop convertible. The inside is drop dead gorgeous, I love the wood trim, just the nuts.

Suggested Improvements

Will let you know, I just purchased the vehicle recently and its too early to tell.

I expect better
By rbmain

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

If you returned to your car in the hardware store's parking lot to find the center rear stop light lens from the trunk lid laying on the ground, you'd think a vandal tried to pop it to mess with the door lock. Right? Nope, they just fall off, and the Dealer has seen lots like that. Now the little flap wing that comes out from the left front trunk lid edge when the retractable hardtop is put down just droops and messes up the top raising and lowering cycles. You have to press it back into position to get top function.

Favorite Features

Sexy looks and handling.

Suggested Improvements

The S550 has nicer driver controls and instrumentation, and costs less than the SL550. A Toyota Highlander has a better, easier to use, and more informative map display on the GPS navigation. The sound system in my 2008 Toyota Avalon is far better and more advanced than the SL550. More Leg room.

As good as it gets
By This is it

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

While growing up heading into NYC, I would see the Sl 500's and told myself that some day I would own one. Went to get my wife an E 350, and this car was sitting along side it. Having MB handle the depreciation, it was still above my range, but what the heck. Yes, the Corvette and the BMW are faster, but what a way to get there. I don't need to feel every break in the pavement. The transmission is superb and gets out of the way. The engine is silent. The breaks keep it safe (the one thing I miss on my 335i). I don't know what people don't like about the Bose Stereo, and I am an audiophile. If you have the bucks, this is the car.

Favorite Features

Roof, engine, keyless ignition, power.

Suggested Improvements

105,000 dollars, and Blue tooth is an additional $300? Come one guys.