Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

SL 600
By Dan Newton

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL600 2dr Convertible (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased my 2008 SL 600 new back in 2009; this was my first purchase of a performance luxury car. I just love everything about the car. The engine torque is amazing; when the twin turbochargerís spool up the acceleration is scary fast. Cornering is flat and feels very secure. Interior noise is very low and luxurious. The overall build quality is second to none. I have owned the car for six years now and the only expense has been standard maintenance. The car did not have a single warranty repair during the warranty period or any repair required to date.

Engine, Power Top

None

As good as it gets
By This is it

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

While growing up heading into NYC, I would see the Sl 500's and told myself that some day I would own one. Went to get my wife an E 350, and this car was sitting along side it. Having MB handle the depreciation, it was still above my range, but what the heck. Yes, the Corvette and the BMW are faster, but what a way to get there. I don't need to feel every break in the pavement. The transmission is superb and gets out of the way. The engine is silent. The breaks keep it safe (the one thing I miss on my 335i). I don't know what people don't like about the Bose Stereo, and I am an audiophile. If you have the bucks, this is the car.

Roof, engine, keyless ignition, power.

105,000 dollars, and Blue tooth is an additional $300? Come one guys.

I expect better
By rbmain

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

If you returned to your car in the hardware store's parking lot to find the center rear stop light lens from the trunk lid laying on the ground, you'd think a vandal tried to pop it to mess with the door lock. Right? Nope, they just fall off, and the Dealer has seen lots like that. Now the little flap wing that comes out from the left front trunk lid edge when the retractable hardtop is put down just droops and messes up the top raising and lowering cycles. You have to press it back into position to get top function.

Sexy looks and handling.

The S550 has nicer driver controls and instrumentation, and costs less than the SL550. A Toyota Highlander has a better, easier to use, and more informative map display on the GPS navigation. The sound system in my 2008 Toyota Avalon is far better and more advanced than the SL550. More Leg room.

What A Machine
By Tom M

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

This MB SL55 AMG is one of the most powerful, exciting vehicles I've ever owned. The performance is unbelievably good. I've timed my own full-bore start and got to 60 in 4.5 seconds. Handling is easily better than both a BMW M6 and a Porsche 911 Turbo S.(I've road tested both) Obviously, the retractable hardtop is the biggest party piece of the SL and it works beautifully in about 22 seconds. The interior is very well done and the Mercedes trademark massaging seats works wonderfully. But after a long distance trip, you will feel it for the ride is very firm. Fuel economy is not as bad as expected for a 500 horsepower V8. Expect like 15 city and 19 highway. Bravo Mercedes-AMG.

Retractable hardtop. Adjustable ride height. Automatic transmission. The thought of buying the SL before Mercedes ruins it with the new facelift.

With the roof up, the roof joints are heard adjusting and cracking, and that gets annoying after a while. It should have the availability of a manual transmission. Like all MBs, the turn signal stalk is below the cruise control stalk, so an accidental touch turns it on. The SatNav isn't the best.

SL55
By Howie

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Overall I would recommend this vehicle to all who have the ability to own one. This vehicle is beautiful, fun to drive, powerful, handles well and is a real nice overall sports car. The electric top makes this a real gem. I like the car but maintaining a full tank of gas is a challenge. I waited my entire life to afford such a vehicle and now that I own it I must say it was worth the wait!

The 12 way seats with massage are terrific. I also enjoy the navigation system and bose sound system. The available bluetooth is a real comfort having not to put anything in your ear.

Easier access to the rear battery in order to keep a charge on it for optimum performance. I also find that the inflatable spare may be an issue in an emergency situation. I truly would like a full tire stuffed into the truck.