A Balance Between Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
By TC on
2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)
I never would have paid the MSRP for this car new, but as a 2 year old lease return with less than 15K for 50% of MSRP, it seemed reasonable. The balance of performance and luxury/comfort is very impressive. It's very comfortable as a luxo- cruiser, but only a short throttle stab away from a rear-end sliding beast. I've had BMW's and S-version Audi's before, and this time I looked at used AM Vantage's (poor warranty) and M6's (sorry - just not very attractive), and considered 911's as well(yes, it's more of a sports car), but as a daily luxo driver in urban traffic that is still capable of lots of hard-top down, rip-snorting fun, this is a very tough car to beat....especially for 1/2 off!
Favorite Features
The folding hard-top is a work of art to watch at work; SL55 is a great blend of aggressive performance and beautiful luxury in one package. Nice job, MB! The first MB I've owned, but not likely to be the last.
Suggested Improvements
OK; so the Nav is not as good as my wife's Acura MDX, and MB electrical may not still be not up to the level of the Japanese (such as the G35 I gave up for this), but those are small compared to the overall excellence and balance of this car. And who really cares about the Nav in this sort of car?