2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
$110,000 LEMON
By ratanlal on 06/20/13 17:44 PM (PDT)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

New car stalled 4 times. After pulling over and waiting for a few minutes car would start up again. Took it every time to a dealer. No problem found. I hear grinding sound, Dealer says normal. never heard that in any of my 20 other cars I have bought before. Soon as warranty expired, there was a problem. During test Dealer claimed that the Compression cable broke. Cost $2000+. I still hear noise and (sometimes) gears shift at a very high RPM. Went to get Smog test. They said they could not get steady RPM of 2800 to perform the test. This week the door handle broke. Cost $500. I would say that MBZ has VERY POOR QUALITY. Buying MBZ 1984-2007. NEVER AGAIN.

Great ride
By Rocket on 08/31/10 13:46 PM (PDT)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I just bought this SL550 for my wife. What a beautiful car. She wanted a sports car and I would not let her drive my Z8 :-) This car is such a nice all around car. It had about 8K miles on it and is 2.5 years old and like another mentioned about 50% of initial MSRP. It was a certified MB so we got a additional 2 year 50K warranty on top of the existing warranty. The car is built like a tank and has plenty of power. It is no Z8 but a much better every day car and tourer and quite the luxury cruiser. We could have spent $60K on a new Corvette GS or the same on this TT&L and it was a no brainer.

The Perfect Drop Top
By Sg5845 on 07/21/10 11:17 AM (PDT)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I have owned my SL 550 for about 18 months so I have driven it in all conditions. I have to say it is absolutely the finest car I have ever owned. When the top is up, it is as quiet as they come. I often conduct handsfree conference calls in it and people think I am at the office it is so quiet. When the top is down, oh man, it is awesome. The car is plenty fast in the SL550 trim but if you need a rocket ship, go for the SL55 or 65. But be careful, learn how to drive a car with that kind of power! The ride is smooth and acceleration is excellent. I live in a big city where the interstates are competitive. I have all the power I need in this car. I would highly recommend it!

SL550 The Fast, the beautiful and the so
By fibblefester on 06/19/10 22:44 PM (PDT)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Just finished a 2,000 mile trip in our newly acquired 07. We drove it from Illinois to Oklahoma City, a trip that had us passing over interstate highways at 75 MPH and rolling through the backroads in Oklahoma. This amazing beast transport the passengers with a feeling of swift, solid sure footedness and capability. The engine is ferocious- at 100 MOH it is barely breathing hard. At more down to earth levels of speed it gets over 27 MPG. That's right, we saw 27.8 MPG indicated and our math upon fillup confirmed the number. The seats are nothing short of nirvana in terms of features and adjustability. The Sat Nav works well and Sirius Radio is a wonder. The SL 550 is simply word class.

More fun than allowed
By flblondie on 06/12/10 06:30 AM (PDT)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This is my second Benz. The sl is fun, fast and better mpg than the manufacturer states - if I don't feel the need to pass everyone on the road (hard to do!) I'm getting consistently 24+ on the highway. Don't hesitate. Get one.

Trendsetter
By Edmund on 05/10/10 15:23 PM (PDT)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Excellent sports car with that extra bit of luxury that set this vehicle apart from and ahead of the competition. I just love driving it, be it on the road going to and from work or at the race- track.

sl550 saved my life
By megaautoparts on 12/14/09 13:23 PM (PST)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I bought my 2007 sl550 with 3800 miles on nov 5 2009 on nov 6 2009 I was hit head on by an accelerating Jeep Cherokee that turned into my lane across a double yellow line, car was totaled but I walked away with some disc and whiplash injuries. There is no doubt this car saved my life, I traded a 2004 Corvette and a 2005 slk350 to get this sl550. If I was in any other car I would have been killed. There is no doubt this car saved my life, I am buying another one and will never buy any other car. Thank you Mercedes for your build quality and crash worthiness.

The Jekel and Hyde of sports cars
By William Edwards on 11/05/07 07:01 AM (PST)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Due to its active suspension (ABC) it can cruise like a S-class but it stiffens up for almost no lean in the fun twistees and corners-Amazing! The transmission senses when you need punch and adjusts to your driving style by the second-a great feature since your driving reactions can be so dynamic in today's crazy traffic. You can adjust the way the car handles from comfort to sport (including ride height) with a push of a button. The 7 speed auto- transmission can also be changed from comfort to sport for that all-out sports car performance. Great V8 engine- very smooth but has incredible low range torque and all the power you might want.

Overall- great luxury sports/touring car
By EWilliams on 09/13/07 08:14 AM (PDT)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Overall a great luxury sports/touring car. Due to its active suspension (ABC) it can cruise like a S-class but it stiffens up for almost no lean in the fun twistees and corners-Amazing! The transmission senses when you need punch and adjusts to your driving style by the second-a great feature since your driving reactions can be so dynamic in today's crazy traffic. You can adjust the way the car handles from comfort to sport (including ride height) with a push of a button.

Great Automobile
By Clint Roy on 05/27/07 19:03 PM (PDT)

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I traded a '07 Corvette - fully loaded, it was a great American car, but no comparison to my new SL 550. Performance, handling, quality interior and exterior are beyond my expectations. I have had many MB automobiles since my first 1988, this is by far the best.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.