Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

$110,000 LEMON
By ratanlal

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

New car stalled 4 times. After pulling over and waiting for a few minutes car would start up again. Took it every time to a dealer. No problem found. I hear grinding sound, Dealer says normal. never heard that in any of my 20 other cars I have bought before. Soon as warranty expired, there was a problem. During test Dealer claimed that the Compression cable broke. Cost $2000+. I still hear noise and (sometimes) gears shift at a very high RPM. Went to get Smog test. They said they could not get steady RPM of 2800 to perform the test. This week the door handle broke. Cost $500. I would say that MBZ has VERY POOR QUALITY. Buying MBZ 1984-2007. NEVER AGAIN.

Piece of garbage

Quality control. For poor quality, take responsibility and correct it.

Great ride
By Rocket

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I just bought this SL550 for my wife. What a beautiful car. She wanted a sports car and I would not let her drive my Z8 :-) This car is such a nice all around car. It had about 8K miles on it and is 2.5 years old and like another mentioned about 50% of initial MSRP. It was a certified MB so we got a additional 2 year 50K warranty on top of the existing warranty. The car is built like a tank and has plenty of power. It is no Z8 but a much better every day car and tourer and quite the luxury cruiser. We could have spent $60K on a new Corvette GS or the same on this TT&L and it was a no brainer.

Hardtop convertible, great smooth, powerful motor, safety, great looks,, fine handling for such a heavy car. Built like a tank and extremely refined. Getting good gas mileage for such a heavy car with about 400 HP. GREAT VISIBILITY out the rear and sides.

The tilt steering wheel needs to move further up to access entry. I hit my knees when getting in. It may be that mine needs to be looked into.

The Perfect Drop Top
By Sg5845

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I have owned my SL 550 for about 18 months so I have driven it in all conditions. I have to say it is absolutely the finest car I have ever owned. When the top is up, it is as quiet as they come. I often conduct handsfree conference calls in it and people think I am at the office it is so quiet. When the top is down, oh man, it is awesome. The car is plenty fast in the SL550 trim but if you need a rocket ship, go for the SL55 or 65. But be careful, learn how to drive a car with that kind of power! The ride is smooth and acceleration is excellent. I live in a big city where the interstates are competitive. I have all the power I need in this car. I would highly recommend it!

Quick retractable top. Multi-contour seats. AMG paddle shifters. Flawless acceleration.

Like most, the stereo and Nav system. That being said, I pretty much just use my IPhone now for navigation so that isn't as big a deal as it was in 2007 when the car first came out. Some entrepreneur should invent a smart phone/bluetooth interface for this car. They would make a fortune!

SL550 The Fast, the beautiful and the so
By fibblefester

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Just finished a 2,000 mile trip in our newly acquired 07. We drove it from Illinois to Oklahoma City, a trip that had us passing over interstate highways at 75 MPH and rolling through the backroads in Oklahoma. This amazing beast transport the passengers with a feeling of swift, solid sure footedness and capability. The engine is ferocious- at 100 MOH it is barely breathing hard. At more down to earth levels of speed it gets over 27 MPG. That's right, we saw 27.8 MPG indicated and our math upon fillup confirmed the number. The seats are nothing short of nirvana in terms of features and adjustability. The Sat Nav works well and Sirius Radio is a wonder. The SL 550 is simply word class.

Engine, handling, collapsible top, transmission, stereo, Sat Nav, Bose stereo, the beautiful sweeping lines of the vehicle, the best seats ever designed and the exhaust note.

Blu-Tooth audio streaming, redesign cup holders, bring back the fitted luggage!!

More fun than allowed
By flblondie

2007 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL550 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

This is my second Benz. The sl is fun, fast and better mpg than the manufacturer states - if I don't feel the need to pass everyone on the road (hard to do!) I'm getting consistently 24+ on the highway. Don't hesitate. Get one.

I know the COMMAND system takes a little time to learn, but it is not as hard as some say. Reliable and responsive. TONS of in-cabin storage bins.

None