Very Disappointing
By Franklin on
2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)
Although I love the looks of the car both inside and out, it lacks many things. The handling and horsepower to weight ratio are disappointing. My Corvette Z06 will run circles around this car. Many of the controls are hard to use and antiquated. A true sport car should have full instrumentation, not idiot lights. It also has very high maintenance costs and small petty things that make it a regular at the service department. You would think Mercedes could afford to include maintenance costs for what you pay. They also lose half their value in just a few years, so that is another thing for some to consider. It is a pleasant enough Sunday cruiser but for the money it is very disappointing.
Favorite Features
Styling, fit and finish.
Suggested Improvements
Modernize controls,navigation& radio to 21st century and make more user friendly. Full instrumentation, better tilt and telescoping wheel. Better/more seat adjustment. Make more reliable and less heavy feeling handling. Include maintenance.
By puppyuppers
on 03/30/12 16:12 PM (PDT)

An SL-500 was not intended to compete with a Z06. Try the SL65. If you still run rings around it with a Z06, take driving lessons.

By bernierubin21
on 07/05/11 19:37 PM (PDT)

Also, I have been told that I need a ring job...I only have 79,000 miles on my car. By any chance, do you have this problem also?

By bernierubin21
on 07/05/11 19:31 PM (PDT)

By any chance, are you experiencing high oil consumption, as in adding a quart of oil at around every 1,000 miles?