2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
Very Disappointing
By Franklin on 03/23/10 15:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Although I love the looks of the car both inside and out, it lacks many things. The handling and horsepower to weight ratio are disappointing. My Corvette Z06 will run circles around this car. Many of the controls are hard to use and antiquated. A true sport car should have full instrumentation, not idiot lights. It also has very high maintenance costs and small petty things that make it a regular at the service department. You would think Mercedes could afford to include maintenance costs for what you pay. They also lose half their value in just a few years, so that is another thing for some to consider. It is a pleasant enough Sunday cruiser but for the money it is very disappointing.

Wish I Hadn't Leased It!
By josephus on 02/15/09 12:38 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Great car! Comfortable, smooth, quick and gorgeous. Prior MB was an AMG SLK. Faster than the SL but not nearly as comfortable or luxurious. We leased the SL and wish we'd bought it. The 39 month lease is up this year and the purchase option is outrageous. Don't like the looks of the '09 nearly as well as the '03 through the '08. About the only thing we don't like (other than a very poor radio and non-intuitive controls) is the cost of routine maintenance. For the price of this car MB should include routine maintenance as BMW/Audi do. We're hoping the '10 model returns to the more classic style of the '03-'08. If so, we'll buy one this time.

It's not inexpensive but it's very nice
By Charles D.Harris on 12/09/08 17:44 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I wanted an SL when they changed the body-style in '03. This has that classic design and style. You can't help but admire it and there are no shortages of folks who tell you that!

Yea, it is fun
By bill ihle on 08/31/06 18:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is my third SL. Yes, they are fun, and expensive. I like the retractable roof. So much better than lifting the other hard tops off. After spending nearly $90K for this car to have me pay for regular maintance is a joke. Really irks me and thus this will probably be last Benz.

Nice.
By Michael on 04/30/06 22:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I got the 2006 SL500 in Feb 2006. I am really a Jaguar person, having owned three so far, but at the time Jaguar would not even quote a price for the new XK, and I was able to get a good deal on the Mercedes. Well, the car is nice, but certainly not thrilling. Perhaps the SL55 would have been better for me. I consider the wonderful 7 speed automatic transmission to be the car's forte. It seems to be just in the right gear at all times. I keep the transmission setting in "sport" mode. The AMG package with the steering wheel paddles is a nice touch and I like the optional panorama roof. I must say, no car I have ever owned has attracted so much interest. My clients always ask how I enjoy it.

Best Luxury Roadster/Boulevardier
By roadster on 04/27/06 07:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Pro: Best car I ever owned. Real head turner. Myriad positive comments. Quiet, smooth ride. Solid body: no squeaks, rattles, groans, shakes, or shudders. Awesome, smooth power with great engine sound. I never brake for corners. Good trunk space. Cons: should come with all-season tires, not summer. Bose sound system mediocre: not much volume or bass. Lots of interior wood-trim not in-cluded and absurdly expensive on the aftermarket. No door- ding strips- standard on C class. Headlight and taillight trim rings are not included. Grille and louver fins painted grey instead of chrome plated. No chrome trim on bumpers. Wheels are painted instead of plated.

The Best SL Yet
By Jimmy on 01/25/06 18:33 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is the third SL I have owned, having purchased new a 1986 and a 1996 now my 2006, which by the way I still own all three. All three cars are completely different, However the 2006 is by far my favorite. It has all the features I need and more. I love being able to have a hardtop with the convertable ability. The 2 previous cars were a little difficult at times. I had to park the hardtop for the summer with a 2 person process of on or off. The look is beautiful. I have to say though all three are beautiful.

Outstanding Mercedes
By MAYOR88 on 10/14/05 13:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

My father bought this car and I simply fell in love with it. The interior design is just beautiful and the exterior is head turning gorgeous.

Nice but still unreliable
By Robb on 10/04/05 15:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

To purchase a 100+k car, you would think that it would be devoid of cheap plastics. Think again. I'm also hearing fluctuations in the engine idle already, and I haven't broken 7K miles yet. Yes, it's still the status symbol to have, but one that is not as well put together as I'd hoped. I'm going back to the SC430 before I take an even bigger hit with depreciation. If I listen quietly enough, I can hear the dollar bills dripping under the car.

Elegant Car, Timeless Styling
By So Cal Sam on 10/03/05 07:25 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Besides the world class styling this car is also so smooth and powerful. The 302 hp engine and 7 speed automatic tranmission effortlessly propels the car down the road with such authority and grace. The convertible top works as advertised - a smooth mechanical ballet that takes you from quiet hardtop coupe to convertible in 16 seconds. The exterior and interior finish are well done and the entire feel of the car seems so tight and well engineered. The navigation system is easy to use and has a points of interest function that is very handy. The 2006 model year includes Sirius satellite radio as a no charge option and I'm finding it to be a real bonus - incredible amount of choice.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.