Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-benz Sl-class - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

Very Disappointing
By Franklin

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Although I love the looks of the car both inside and out, it lacks many things. The handling and horsepower to weight ratio are disappointing. My Corvette Z06 will run circles around this car. Many of the controls are hard to use and antiquated. A true sport car should have full instrumentation, not idiot lights. It also has very high maintenance costs and small petty things that make it a regular at the service department. You would think Mercedes could afford to include maintenance costs for what you pay. They also lose half their value in just a few years, so that is another thing for some to consider. It is a pleasant enough Sunday cruiser but for the money it is very disappointing.

Favorite Features

Styling, fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Modernize controls,navigation& radio to 21st century and make more user friendly. Full instrumentation, better tilt and telescoping wheel. Better/more seat adjustment. Make more reliable and less heavy feeling handling. Include maintenance.

Wish I Hadn't Leased It!
By josephus

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Great car! Comfortable, smooth, quick and gorgeous. Prior MB was an AMG SLK. Faster than the SL but not nearly as comfortable or luxurious. We leased the SL and wish we'd bought it. The 39 month lease is up this year and the purchase option is outrageous. Don't like the looks of the '09 nearly as well as the '03 through the '08. About the only thing we don't like (other than a very poor radio and non-intuitive controls) is the cost of routine maintenance. For the price of this car MB should include routine maintenance as BMW/Audi do. We're hoping the '10 model returns to the more classic style of the '03-'08. If so, we'll buy one this time.

Favorite Features

Looks, performance, comfort and, of course, the retractable hardtop.

Suggested Improvements

Include routine maintenance cost in the purchase price of the vehicle. Improve the radio. (The Bose system in this car is an embarrassment). Copy the Lexus in terms of intuitiveness of the various controls. We've had the car for over 3 years and still have trouble trying to use them.

It's not inexpensive but it's very nice
By Charles D.Harris

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I wanted an SL when they changed the body-style in '03. This has that classic design and style. You can't help but admire it and there are no shortages of folks who tell you that!

Favorite Features

The hardtop is the best feature with this car. The AMG package adds a nice touch.

Suggested Improvements

A price reduction would be nice. My list price was $101k and even with a great deal; I still paid $84k. One can purchase many sport cars for a whole lot less.

Yea, it is fun
By bill ihle

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is my third SL. Yes, they are fun, and expensive. I like the retractable roof. So much better than lifting the other hard tops off. After spending nearly $90K for this car to have me pay for regular maintance is a joke. Really irks me and thus this will probably be last Benz.

Favorite Features

Exterior, the roof is great. Sound system is good.

Suggested Improvements

Well the trunk, we can start there. The pay for your own maintance plan is really poor and reason enough not to buy this car.

Nice.
By Michael

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I got the 2006 SL500 in Feb 2006. I am really a Jaguar person, having owned three so far, but at the time Jaguar would not even quote a price for the new XK, and I was able to get a good deal on the Mercedes. Well, the car is nice, but certainly not thrilling. Perhaps the SL55 would have been better for me. I consider the wonderful 7 speed automatic transmission to be the car's forte. It seems to be just in the right gear at all times. I keep the transmission setting in "sport" mode. The AMG package with the steering wheel paddles is a nice touch and I like the optional panorama roof. I must say, no car I have ever owned has attracted so much interest. My clients always ask how I enjoy it.

Favorite Features

Strangers talk to me at the gas pump and strike up conversations. I suppose that is a charm of the car that cannot be ignored.

Suggested Improvements

The buttons on the steering wheel that change the radio station should advance to the next preset, not the next "searched" station. That is the worse thing I can say about it. ;-)