2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
Very Disappointing
By Franklin on 03/23/10 15:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Although I love the looks of the car both inside and out, it lacks many things. The handling and horsepower to weight ratio are disappointing. My Corvette Z06 will run circles around this car. Many of the controls are hard to use and antiquated. A true sport car should have full instrumentation, not idiot lights. It also has very high maintenance costs and small petty things that make it a regular at the service department. You would think Mercedes could afford to include maintenance costs for what you pay. They also lose half their value in just a few years, so that is another thing for some to consider. It is a pleasant enough Sunday cruiser but for the money it is very disappointing.

Wish I Hadn't Leased It!
By josephus on 02/15/09 12:38 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Great car! Comfortable, smooth, quick and gorgeous. Prior MB was an AMG SLK. Faster than the SL but not nearly as comfortable or luxurious. We leased the SL and wish we'd bought it. The 39 month lease is up this year and the purchase option is outrageous. Don't like the looks of the '09 nearly as well as the '03 through the '08. About the only thing we don't like (other than a very poor radio and non-intuitive controls) is the cost of routine maintenance. For the price of this car MB should include routine maintenance as BMW/Audi do. We're hoping the '10 model returns to the more classic style of the '03-'08. If so, we'll buy one this time.

It's not inexpensive but it's very nice
By Charles D.Harris on 12/09/08 17:44 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I wanted an SL when they changed the body-style in '03. This has that classic design and style. You can't help but admire it and there are no shortages of folks who tell you that!

Fun in the Sun
By Robert Chiu on 10/28/08 11:20 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

This car is an absolute joy to drive. It's like having 3 cars in one...luxury, sports, and convertible. I couldn't ask for a car that is capable in all 3 areas.

Performance, Luxury, Muscle Car all in one
By Jim on 03/29/07 22:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

My SL55 has been the car I always wanted. It outperforms the 2 year old Porshe I turned, in all catagories. It is faster, corners better and much more comfortable. The hard top convertible gives you a quiet ride when up.I have had a few minor electronic problems that were fixed quickly I have the SL 65 sport package on mine. It is the same car as an SL65 without the extra 800 pounds in the motor and only 111 less H.P. This is the best production sports,luxury,Muscle car on the road. The downside, They charge you for all 3 cars.It beats almost everything. If you can afford a $145,000 car, This is the best car on the road.

A great step up
By john on 01/20/07 18:18 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL65 AMG 2dr Convertible (6.0L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I held off on all Mercedes until I saw the 2003 SL500, which I bought and enjoyed immensely. My only complaint was that I felt that for this level of car, and for it's weight, it was a little underpowered. I test drove the new SL550, which substantially improved the engine power problem with the improved torque and horsepower. I had the opportunity, however, to purchase a new 2006 SL65, and the difference is again night and day. I love the instant power without any significant turbo lag, and yet the elegant and sophisticated luxury package in which this beast is housed. Though much more subtle in appearance than some comparables, the car demands one's attention. Performance is superb.

Fun in Chicago
By liuhopafa on 11/14/06 20:07 PM (PST)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL65 AMG 2dr Convertible (6.0L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

Great riding car. Extremely quiet and yet fast as hell. Best on the open road. However, for slower driving the SL55 was more fun to drive in city traffic.

SL600 - Yes!
By JohnS on 09/04/06 16:51 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL600 2dr Convertible (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

Fun, fun, fun to drive. Good handling, nice looking. it gets lots of looks. A true, comfortable, sports car.

Yea, it is fun
By bill ihle on 08/31/06 18:39 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is my third SL. Yes, they are fun, and expensive. I like the retractable roof. So much better than lifting the other hard tops off. After spending nearly $90K for this car to have me pay for regular maintance is a joke. Really irks me and thus this will probably be last Benz.

Adds zest to my commute
By Don on 08/26/06 13:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

The SL55 puts track performance and handing capabilities into a comfortable street legal vehicle. That would be difficult to improve upon. I have owned other more exotic sports cars, some at twice the price, and the SL55 is the best to date. Anyone considering the SL65 should go to the SL55 instead. The added 800 pounds up front in the SL65 has a huge negative impact on handing, which is why the SL55 consistently beats on US and European tracks.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.