Trading performance for luxury
By hench on
2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)
After 4 recalls on my 2002 BMW M3 I thought I would get a convertible and drop some performance for luxury. I was tempted to wait the 6 months to get a SL55 AMG, but decided that I would rather settle for the base SL500. Couldn't be happier with the car. Only thing I would change is put the cruise control stick on the right side as I tend to hit it often when I am trying to tap my blinkers. The drop top is so fast, I can switch from top up to top down at a stop light and watch as everyone around me stares at the cool mechinisms that move the top. Hard to beat hard top comfort in the winter with top down crusing in the summer. Down side of keyless, I forget to leave the key for valet ;).
Favorite Features
The top, and how fast it goes up and down without having to mess with any latches. It is so quiet with the top up, many passengers don't realize it is a convertible.
Suggested Improvements
Move that dang cruise control stick to the other side. It is way too close to the turn signal stick, and I hit it all the time when I just want to change lanes.