2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class 6.0L V12 Twin-turbo 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Torque, not HP

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Consumer Review

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL65 AMG 2dr Convertible (6.0L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

SL65 AMG Convertible (6.0L V12 Twin-turbo 5-speed Automatic)

Torque, not HP
By goose007 on

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL65 AMG 2dr Convertible (6.0L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had a Jaguar and a Ferrari in the past, and driven the Porsches of friends. I was attracted to the new Mercedes "monster car" because it broke the 600 HP barrier. What I have found is that the HP understates the perfomance of the vehicle, if you can imagine that. Between 2000 and 4000 rpm there is well over 700 ft-lbs of torque and the driving experience is like nothing I have ever felt. Now, this is a heavy machine, and you can feel it. But the ride is still "tight", the seats well designed to hold you, and the controls very accesible. The interior touches are nice, but this is still an SL500 with a monster engine and monster brakes.

Favorite Features

I like the turbo on this car. Normally I prefer superchargers, like that on the Jag or the SL55, but I noticed no turbo lag. Nice job AMG!

Suggested Improvements

Taller friends complain about the SL series. Think twice if you are a six footers. Also, be nice to see this car with a few 100 less pounds on it.