Still the King
By John Heard on
2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)
What a feeling! My nephew said while driving my SL500, "Tt's hard not to look smug when you're driving this." Wonderful car. Too many complicated electonic features. I have to wade through five instruction manuals to find what should be a simple procedure. Thank goodness the only option I got was the Keyless Go. The hardtop operation is superb. The rear windscreen takes all the unpleasant blowing out of driving with the top back. Very quiet operation with the top up. Much more trunk room than the Lexus SC430. Dealers will deal on price, even if they deny it publicly.
Favorite Features
Quick roof operation. It's fun just to watch it. Keyless Go is great: Push shifter to start, lock and unlock doors with a finger, all with the key in your pocket. Handling is flawless. Button in trunk which tilts top when stored makes for easy access to remaining space.
Suggested Improvements
Simplify fundamental operation of equipment; manuals and methods are too complicated. Navigation system needs refining. I don't mind the CD-ROMs, but the directions (obviously a programming matter) aren't good. I have set it for routes I'm very familiar with, and the system instructs differently.