Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

Happy
By Happy

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Love it! I have several vehicles and this one is a toy just for a kick. But I have found I am enjoying it more than any of my previous toys,(Corvette, 430 SLK, Jag XJS & BMW's)Power,comfort, handling and all in the best looking car on the market.

TOP! Style, fit and finish.

Navigation system is worthless. MB should be embarrased to put that piece of junk in this fine vehicle. My Lexus and Escalade have GPS systems that put this one to shame. Junk after-market systems are much better.

Waste your $100K on something else
By DRJ

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is a beautiful car to look at and that's about it. I sold a 911 and bought a new 05' SL500 six months ago. I have owned many cars and the SL ranks amongst the least fun to drive. It is also not a well-built vehicle. All the stuff you read about Mercedes Benz being unreliable is true. The roof has been rattling since day one and the dealer has not been able to fix it yet. The engine sounds like a diesel under 40 mph, apparently they all sound like this. The 7-speed transmission is not very smooth and affects the car's performance. The A/C blows cold air all the time. Radio and other instrument controls are poorly designed and hard to figure out. It only has 10 FM presets.

This is one of the best looking cars on the road today, inside and out. Usable trunk, comfortable seating for two. retractable hard top.

Give this car a better engine and transmission worthy of a sports car and the MB badge. Mercedes should pay more attention to the the little details. The company should spend more time and money improving the reliabilty of their automobiles.

SL 500
By Ryan Brennan

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Truely great and stylish car! I would reccomend it to anyone looking in the $80,000 plus range. I owned a Jaguar XK8 before my SL and after having driven both I can say that the Mercedes is clearly better.

The AMG sport package adds a lot to exterior appearance.

I would love Mercedes to offer a manual transmission

0-60 in: Whoa!!
By Sports Car Heaven

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Although this is one of the heaviest sports cars that I have ever driven, this car will go 0-60 in (I have tested) 4.0 seconds. This is .5 seconds less that the advertisement. This car is really very fun to drive as well. I recommend that you buy it.

The engine power.

Navigation system

You gotta get one!
By Jefferson

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I have had several Mercedes over the years, and this is the 2nd AMG version I have had. I originally had a CLK55 Cab and decided to trade it in on an SL500. I soon was dissapointed at the performance of the standard SL500 and within a week traded my 04 SL500 for an 05 SL55. This by far is the best car I have owned. I love the looks on my friends faces who drive 360 Ferrari's when I out accelerate and out drive them in the canyons.

DVD Navigation. Ventilated Seats. Keyless Go, Parking Sensors, and Retractable Hardtop.

Would have rather had Black Burlwood instead of the brown color.