2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG - Consumer Reviews

SL55 AMG 5.4L V8 Supercharger 5-speed Automatic - (19 reviews )
You gotta get one!
By Jefferson on 03/12/05 15:36 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I have had several Mercedes over the years, and this is the 2nd AMG version I have had. I originally had a CLK55 Cab and decided to trade it in on an SL500. I soon was dissapointed at the performance of the standard SL500 and within a week traded my 04 SL500 for an 05 SL55. This by far is the best car I have owned. I love the looks on my friends faces who drive 360 Ferrari's when I out accelerate and out drive them in the canyons.

SL55
By Don Sowers on 01/19/05 20:00 PM (PST)

Great car. Navigation should be DVD not CD based. Performance is exceptional for a luxury car. Would definitely recommend this car. Tire monitor warning system saved me twice before tire went completely flat. Important since no spare tire was supplied.Hard top convertible great improvement over my SL600 removable hard top. Keyless entry and start another of this cars great options. This car will not go at all in ice or snow. Can't wait to try the new SL65 or SLR.

Your Personal Adrenalin Pump
By Mpyles on 12/07/04 16:14 PM (PST)

I wish it were 800 pounds lighter and $30K cheaper. But mostly I wish this car had been on the market when I lived in the rolling hills of Connecticut instead of downtown Chicago. My biggest problem with it has been the urge to rise at 5:00 a.m. on weekends to find a clear roadway worthy of its capabilities. Cars (and I've had a lot of them) just don't get any more fun than this one. A few -- very few -- beat it in handling or acceleration, but none beats it in cool quotient when you factor in the hard drop top which looks as good up as down. Porsches are Mozart. Bimmers are Mahler. This car is Beethoven's 9th.

Wow power
By Cdr. on 10/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

The same advice they give jet pilots. When you pass another car be sure to be thinking where you will be, not where you are. It is so fast and powerful that unless you want to race a top fueler at the local drag strip you don't need more power or speed. This car handles so well you have to remember not to nod off thinking it is driving itself. Spending this kind of money seems overkill until you drive and drive and keep looking forward to driving it again. What a rush. No regrets and lets's face it, the looks on the drivers of the "Z's" is precious as they do a double and triple take while eyeing the sparkling AMG on the stern. Ever fishtail doing 70 and stomping on it? This does it!

less than great
By Gbart on 10/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I have owned my SL55 for just 9 months and have had 4 different problems requiring dealer service from the top not closing completely, to a failed electronic display module, et al. I am disappointed at the low end torque - my 2000 E55 was every bit as good. Cornering is far from "Porsche like" and the car is much too loud when you accelerate heavily. As in all MB's the sound system is just OK. The whole package should be better for $125k large. Killer looks and thats about it. This is my 7th MB and likely my last.

2004 SL55 AMG
By winflow on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

This car is the perfect sports car. It handles extremely well, I average 18.5 mpg. I have had no problems with this car.

nice
By sheemy on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

this is actually my favorite car now. i think many people love this car to as much as i do. it is nice comfortable and worth it.

AWESOME!!!
By BshPilot5 on 09/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I just bought the car and it is without a doubt, the most fun you can have on four wheels! The performance and handling is phenomenal AND it's a hardtop convertible. I get approached everyday and congratulated on my purchase. This is a MUST have if you have the money!

Absoloutely the best car I've ever had!
By WTan on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

This car is absolutely the best! I have traded up from an '04 SL500 and I don't regret it one bit. The performance and handling of this car is awesome! The shift by MB to DVD navigation is the right step! If you're looking for a roadster/convertible, this is IT!