2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG SL55 AMG Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz Sl-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 SL-Class Consumer Reviews

SL55 AMG 5.4L V8 Supercharger 5-speed Automatic - (19 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Great to buy used
By rlovelace1

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I purchased my SL55 AMG in Feb of 2010. The bad... had to repair air suspension on front and back. The good... MB significantly reduced the cost of the repair. The excitement of most new car purchases ware off in a month or so. Not this car. I look forward to driving this car every day. Performance is very good, looks are great with top up or down. I can't belive how well it handles based on the weight being over 4,300 lbs. It goes where ever you point it with plenty of power on tap. It is a shame this care does not come with a license to speed. Pay the extra cost for the AMG. It is definately worth it.

Favorite Features

Strong engine, great exterior and interior syling. Great comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Based on new prices, they should use technology that helps reduce weight. Radio should integrate with iPods however they may have addressed this on new cars.

Excellent build quality
By ap

Great car..if you lie performance in a good looking package, then this is your car. i upgraded my heat exchanger, intercooler pump, and my crank shaft pulley to really make the car a BEAST!!! you can easily add an ECU upgrade and make this car a monster to drive! have fun

Favorite Features

everything

Suggested Improvements

improve cooling components, heat exchanger, intercooler pump..pump goes out, and it will cut into your performance after several rounds of hard driving.

Love It!!!
By ChitownSL55

I bought this car because I wanted a toy. Something to drive on nice days with the top down. The car is beautiful. People stop me all the time to tell me what a nice car it is. It looks great weather the top is up or down. I don't really get to open it up because here in Chicago there is always too much traffic but I have driven it late at night and the car is a rocket. It sounds great when you start it and press on the gas and heads will turn to look where the roar is coming from.

Favorite Features

The power!!! This car will hurt feelings. People pull up all the time and want to race but it's never a race because once the 493 horses kick in they're way behind. The parking assist is very helpful for saving your bumper paint. The cab is very quiet when the top is up.

Suggested Improvements

I'm not a huge fan of the Bose system. The CD player is too sensitive and the speakers could use some more power. It's not really that big of a deal to me because I'm willing to upgrade the stereo. These days there is always a device you can buy to integrate whatever you have to work in your car.

AMG road trip
By John Benz

I recently purchased a pre-owned low mileage 2005 SL55 AMG, and to get it home I had to make an 1800 mile run across the country. What a wonderful trip! I found the car quiet and comfortable with exceptional road manners. Never a tired leg or back muscle after a long day on the road. If you like, the 55 is an amazing performance car, or if you want to take it easy and enjoy the luxury features, it'll do that too. Both worlds are extreme in this super car, and it never fails to get lots of attention wherever you go. Styling and performance are second to none. Maybe more bells and whistles than I really need, but I'm still learning to appreciate them. Easily the greatest car I've ever driven.

Favorite Features

Styling, performance, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Get Garmin to build your navigation system

This is great
By Benzo

My fourth Benz. No problems, just plain fun. Looks good, unbelievable power. Surprising amount of room with the top up. First thing I did was take a two week road trip from Minneapolis to Denver to South Padre, Texas and back. Plenty of room for golf clubs and all our gear. Was a short 5000 miles as fast as this car moves and I was ready to go again right after we got back. Once a day (sometimes more) I get complimented "great car". Might be the last passenger car I'll ever buy.

Favorite Features

Instant power, sound of the supercharged engine, fold down top, appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Two inches more legroom for us taller guys would be great. Sound and navigation systems acceptable, but room for improvement. Of course, bring your checkbook (and credit cards, and home equity line of credit, and kids college fund) to buy it. These are nitpicks on the overall driving experience.

My 2005 SL55
By George

The car is well balanced, great response. The upgrade in the leather is way overpriced. If you wanted black leather interior it was not avalible, charcoal not black, unless you bought the upgraded leather interior. I have 12000 miles on the car with no problems. The one negative is that it is very easy to speed, the car wants to get up and go! If you want a SL and have an extra $30,000 to spend, go for the SL55.

Favorite Features

Balance, looks, paint, handeling, all around great car.

Suggested Improvements

More user frendly GPS/Computer. More choices of interior & exterior colors.

A true fantasy car
By DBERRY

This car is truly a dream car. Superior acceleration, Awesome exterior. My wife loves it so much she has decided to get the SL65 by January 2006. Imagined being the best looking car on the road(exception DB9), and the fastest car around(Bar None). The guys running the nitro will need a lot more than that to keep up. If you have the duckies, this car is worth the money, although I have had a few minor problems with the computers. But the positive outweighs the negative by far.

Favorite Features

Dropping the hardtop at a traffic light and pulling away from a Porsche all within 20 seconds.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the complicated audio and navigation system with a touch screen. Remove the acceleration device that slows the vehicle from 0-60.

My SL55
By JackN

I bought this SL55 after owning a SL500. When I bought the SL500 I was in awe. It was a great car. I made a mistake one day and drove the SL55 when I stopped by the showroom to have my SL500 serviced. The difference was unbelievable..The car has the style, power and drives like no other. If anyone is looking to buy the ultimate convertible, the SL55 is it!

Favorite Features

The ease of raising/lowering the top. The location of controls, and the sleekness of the interior.

Suggested Improvements

None at this time

SL55 AMG
By sl amg

Awesome power. Fun to drive. navigation system is very cumbersome and difficult to use. There is a lag when you jump on the accelerator.

Favorite Features

The engine is awesome. Beautiful interior and exterior

Suggested Improvements

Redo the navigation system and climate control.....too cumbersome and time consuming.

0-60 in: Whoa!!
By Sports Car Heaven

Although this is one of the heaviest sports cars that I have ever driven, this car will go 0-60 in (I have tested) 4.0 seconds. This is .5 seconds less that the advertisement. This car is really very fun to drive as well. I recommend that you buy it.

Favorite Features

The engine power.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system