2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
Sports and luxury combined.
By merlin on 03/27/06 17:57 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

After test driving several convertible sports cars including the BMW 6 series and the Porcsche Carrera I found the SL 55 to be by far the best available combination of fun, luxury and safety. As an additional bonus when the top is up the cabin is so quiet you would never know you're driving a convertible

SL 500
By F Scheckton on 01/28/06 11:28 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Geat body style and excellent handling. It would be helpful if the trunk were an inch wider and deeper to accomodate two golf bags. Averaging 21.5 mpg. Negatives: Command system reliability. Navagation and sound system occasionally malfunctions. Sound system not up to par for a $100,000 vehicle. No fade control on sound system.

Can't Hate It
By BILL on 09/20/05 19:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Build quality is not like the old SL's and it's been back to the dealer many times for problems with transmission, brakes, water leaks, accessory malfunctions. But it's so beautiful and fun to drive that you can't hate it.

My second SL500 in 2 years
By F. E. G. on 09/08/05 22:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

After driving a 2003 SL 500 for nearly 2 years,I was able to upgrade 2 years at an attractive year-end price. I thought it would be about the same car, but the improvements, especially the new 7 forward speed transmission, makes this the finest performing Benz in 5 that I have owned in the past several years. The driving and performance experience is exhilerating.

500SL Review
By Thomas Fillingim on 06/29/05 17:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

After owning 2 other 500SL's, I can say that Mercedes finally got it right. The balance between luxury and sport is magnificent. I do not feel like I'm riding on a truck chassis in the 2005 model. In the previous SL's I did. This car is luxury. Comfortable, yet very tight in terms of handling. It truly hugs the road while giving the feeling of being in a luxury automobile. The interior and exterior lines of the vehicle are very well thought out. It is a very classy automobile.

Just the best!
By Rich on 06/16/05 20:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I've had my SL for nearly a month now. Have not regretted it since the moment I drove it off the lot. Just wish the engine was a little more responsive at acceleration as my former CLK. Pure heaven driving this car! Thinking about it? Go for it!

Still the King
By John Heard on 05/03/05 22:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

What a feeling! My nephew said while driving my SL500, "Tt's hard not to look smug when you're driving this." Wonderful car. Too many complicated electonic features. I have to wade through five instruction manuals to find what should be a simple procedure. Thank goodness the only option I got was the Keyless Go. The hardtop operation is superb. The rear windscreen takes all the unpleasant blowing out of driving with the top back. Very quiet operation with the top up. Much more trunk room than the Lexus SC430. Dealers will deal on price, even if they deny it publicly.

SL500 convertible
By Frank J. Fiore on 05/03/05 10:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I have owned Mercedes for over 20 years and this model has got to be the best one yet. The handling is superb, along with its sleek lines. I would recommend this car to anyone who can acquire it. This is a fun car to drive and is very dependable. Both my brothers in law have also purchsed one on my recommendation.

Trading performance for luxury
By hench on 04/23/05 13:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

After 4 recalls on my 2002 BMW M3 I thought I would get a convertible and drop some performance for luxury. I was tempted to wait the 6 months to get a SL55 AMG, but decided that I would rather settle for the base SL500. Couldn't be happier with the car. Only thing I would change is put the cruise control stick on the right side as I tend to hit it often when I am trying to tap my blinkers. The drop top is so fast, I can switch from top up to top down at a stop light and watch as everyone around me stares at the cool mechinisms that move the top. Hard to beat hard top comfort in the winter with top down crusing in the summer. Down side of keyless, I forget to leave the key for valet ;).

Droptop fun
By SoCalFun on 04/16/05 12:53 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

After six months of driving this car, it is still a joy to get into. I have always enjoyed cars. This one simply takes it to another level.