2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
Great to buy used
By rlovelace1 on 06/16/11 19:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I purchased my SL55 AMG in Feb of 2010. The bad... had to repair air suspension on front and back. The good... MB significantly reduced the cost of the repair. The excitement of most new car purchases ware off in a month or so. Not this car. I look forward to driving this car every day. Performance is very good, looks are great with top up or down. I can't belive how well it handles based on the weight being over 4,300 lbs. It goes where ever you point it with plenty of power on tap. It is a shame this care does not come with a license to speed. Pay the extra cost for the AMG. It is definately worth it.

Excellent build quality
By ap on 01/16/10 21:44 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Great car..if you lie performance in a good looking package, then this is your car. i upgraded my heat exchanger, intercooler pump, and my crank shaft pulley to really make the car a BEAST!!! you can easily add an ECU upgrade and make this car a monster to drive! have fun

Love It!!!
By ChitownSL55 on 12/30/09 18:18 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I bought this car because I wanted a toy. Something to drive on nice days with the top down. The car is beautiful. People stop me all the time to tell me what a nice car it is. It looks great weather the top is up or down. I don't really get to open it up because here in Chicago there is always too much traffic but I have driven it late at night and the car is a rocket. It sounds great when you start it and press on the gas and heads will turn to look where the roar is coming from.

SL600
By Bernie Doran on 06/04/09 08:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL600 2dr Convertible (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

This is a great car and my second SL, the other is an 1994 SL500 and it is also a great car. the difference in eleven years is astounding. the 05 has every available option except heated steering wheel, it was a CA car. amazed at the MPG on freeway, went to Cleveland a week ago, about 100 mi with 90 on I71, the goofy thing indicated 24.6 MPG!! used the distronic, I thought that would be joke, nope, it is great touched the brake/throttle once in 90 freeway miles. speed was set at 70(this is Ohio)we have a unique way of collecting road tax here. The push in the seat is addictive, another 100 hp would not make much difference, would be interesting to see another 400 hp.

AMG road trip
By John Benz on 11/14/08 18:32 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I recently purchased a pre-owned low mileage 2005 SL55 AMG, and to get it home I had to make an 1800 mile run across the country. What a wonderful trip! I found the car quiet and comfortable with exceptional road manners. Never a tired leg or back muscle after a long day on the road. If you like, the 55 is an amazing performance car, or if you want to take it easy and enjoy the luxury features, it'll do that too. Both worlds are extreme in this super car, and it never fails to get lots of attention wherever you go. Styling and performance are second to none. Maybe more bells and whistles than I really need, but I'm still learning to appreciate them. Easily the greatest car I've ever driven.

This is great
By Benzo on 07/06/08 09:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

My fourth Benz. No problems, just plain fun. Looks good, unbelievable power. Surprising amount of room with the top up. First thing I did was take a two week road trip from Minneapolis to Denver to South Padre, Texas and back. Plenty of room for golf clubs and all our gear. Was a short 5000 miles as fast as this car moves and I was ready to go again right after we got back. Once a day (sometimes more) I get complimented "great car". Might be the last passenger car I'll ever buy.

My 2005 SL55
By George on 04/25/06 18:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

The car is well balanced, great response. The upgrade in the leather is way overpriced. If you wanted black leather interior it was not avalible, charcoal not black, unless you bought the upgraded leather interior. I have 12000 miles on the car with no problems. The one negative is that it is very easy to speed, the car wants to get up and go! If you want a SL and have an extra $30,000 to spend, go for the SL55.

Sports and luxury combined.
By merlin on 03/27/06 17:57 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

After test driving several convertible sports cars including the BMW 6 series and the Porcsche Carrera I found the SL 55 to be by far the best available combination of fun, luxury and safety. As an additional bonus when the top is up the cabin is so quiet you would never know you're driving a convertible

SL 500
By F Scheckton on 01/28/06 11:28 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Geat body style and excellent handling. It would be helpful if the trunk were an inch wider and deeper to accomodate two golf bags. Averaging 21.5 mpg. Negatives: Command system reliability. Navagation and sound system occasionally malfunctions. Sound system not up to par for a $100,000 vehicle. No fade control on sound system.

Best GT car you can buy!!!
By MattD on 01/18/06 18:16 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL65 AMG 2dr Convertible (6.0L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

This car is simply amazing. From its 604 horsepower to its elegant and civil nature, this car offers it all. If you are looking for an all out performance car you wan to take to the track, the SL65 is not for you. This car is all about the everyday driving experience. The power is nothing short of incredible. The car does have trouble getting off the line cleanly, but its purpose is not to be a dragster. The power is best used for passing, and passing is does. Hanlding is plenty ample but nothing to get all that excited about. Creature comforts, build quality, and techno-gadgets are what you'd expect from a top-of-the-line Mercedes, but the COMAND system can be a bit intimidating at first.