Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz Sl-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

Great to buy used
By rlovelace1

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I purchased my SL55 AMG in Feb of 2010. The bad... had to repair air suspension on front and back. The good... MB significantly reduced the cost of the repair. The excitement of most new car purchases ware off in a month or so. Not this car. I look forward to driving this car every day. Performance is very good, looks are great with top up or down. I can't belive how well it handles based on the weight being over 4,300 lbs. It goes where ever you point it with plenty of power on tap. It is a shame this care does not come with a license to speed. Pay the extra cost for the AMG. It is definately worth it.

Favorite Features

Strong engine, great exterior and interior syling. Great comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Based on new prices, they should use technology that helps reduce weight. Radio should integrate with iPods however they may have addressed this on new cars.

Excellent build quality
By ap

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Great car..if you lie performance in a good looking package, then this is your car. i upgraded my heat exchanger, intercooler pump, and my crank shaft pulley to really make the car a BEAST!!! you can easily add an ECU upgrade and make this car a monster to drive! have fun

Favorite Features

everything

Suggested Improvements

improve cooling components, heat exchanger, intercooler pump..pump goes out, and it will cut into your performance after several rounds of hard driving.

Love It!!!
By ChitownSL55

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I bought this car because I wanted a toy. Something to drive on nice days with the top down. The car is beautiful. People stop me all the time to tell me what a nice car it is. It looks great weather the top is up or down. I don't really get to open it up because here in Chicago there is always too much traffic but I have driven it late at night and the car is a rocket. It sounds great when you start it and press on the gas and heads will turn to look where the roar is coming from.

Favorite Features

The power!!! This car will hurt feelings. People pull up all the time and want to race but it's never a race because once the 493 horses kick in they're way behind. The parking assist is very helpful for saving your bumper paint. The cab is very quiet when the top is up.

Suggested Improvements

I'm not a huge fan of the Bose system. The CD player is too sensitive and the speakers could use some more power. It's not really that big of a deal to me because I'm willing to upgrade the stereo. These days there is always a device you can buy to integrate whatever you have to work in your car.

SL600
By Bernie Doran

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL600 2dr Convertible (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

This is a great car and my second SL, the other is an 1994 SL500 and it is also a great car. the difference in eleven years is astounding. the 05 has every available option except heated steering wheel, it was a CA car. amazed at the MPG on freeway, went to Cleveland a week ago, about 100 mi with 90 on I71, the goofy thing indicated 24.6 MPG!! used the distronic, I thought that would be joke, nope, it is great touched the brake/throttle once in 90 freeway miles. speed was set at 70(this is Ohio)we have a unique way of collecting road tax here. The push in the seat is addictive, another 100 hp would not make much difference, would be interesting to see another 400 hp.

Favorite Features

twin turbo intercooled V12, wonderful engines, V12s have perfect primary and secondary balance.

Suggested Improvements

only possible complaint is a very slight turbo lag, it is not much but it is there. A blower is instantaneous but eats power to twist them

AMG road trip
By John Benz

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I recently purchased a pre-owned low mileage 2005 SL55 AMG, and to get it home I had to make an 1800 mile run across the country. What a wonderful trip! I found the car quiet and comfortable with exceptional road manners. Never a tired leg or back muscle after a long day on the road. If you like, the 55 is an amazing performance car, or if you want to take it easy and enjoy the luxury features, it'll do that too. Both worlds are extreme in this super car, and it never fails to get lots of attention wherever you go. Styling and performance are second to none. Maybe more bells and whistles than I really need, but I'm still learning to appreciate them. Easily the greatest car I've ever driven.

Favorite Features

Styling, performance, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Get Garmin to build your navigation system