It's worth the love/hate aggravation
By Mr. Hankey on
2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)
I absolutely love this car! Many times in the past year, I've hated it, too. I've had numerous dealer visits ranging from minor adjustments all the way up to replaced superchargers. My dealer always takes care of me! It's way over-engineered, but again that's what I thrive on as well. There's something great about driving literally the fastest, best handling car on the road, and then there's that level of AMG exclusivity too...I attended the Ultimate AMG Challenge Fall '04 in Germany and was fortunate to meet the one technician who assembled my car's engine.
Favorite Features
The throaty screaming exhaust sound, especially in traffic -it's fun to scare the people next to you.. Distronic, the radar adaptive cruise control. I love this car's stability characteristics --you can't wreck it! It's like a gyroscope with the most predictable handling characteristics.
Suggested Improvements
Give me a choice for XM Radio rather than Sirius, Ventillated/Massaging seats that actually work. Install the best sound system that money can buy. Copy Lexus in terms of navigation system, climate control, and build quality control.