Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-benz Sl-class - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

Most Helpful|
This would be the best car if it was more reliable
By sir_turtle

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this 4 years old from mercedes dealer in reno. The car looks turn heads EVERYWHERE, Such a pleasure to drive, the 7 speed tranny shifts so smooth that its hard to tell how fast u are going because the power band is so smooth. The suspension creates such a smooth ride that you will notice how different it is then other cars. This has been my absolute fav car to drive, but what a nightmare to own. Battery in the trunk went and cost 300$ for new. you have to go to the dealer for everything because they need to reset the computer or else the car will constantly shut off as a gimmick to get you to the dealer. also suspension valve went and cost $3000 to fix, very common problem

Suggested Improvements

better valves on the suspension, that hydraulic suspension makes the ride unbelieveabley smooth and nice, but the reliability of the system for maintancen is aweful, shame on mercedes for the crappy valves they used and for the extreme price their consumers have to pay to fix it, this is a very common problem in the SL and S class. beware

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL500 - UNRELIABLE
By MMATLOCK

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Well, here we go. I bought my SL500 in March of '04 and immediately the top failed. It was recalled for brakes in June. Its transmission failed and had to be replaced in October. Rains came in November and the trunk/top leaked. The dealer assured me that this was an "isolated" incident. Unfortunately it happened to me. They had to replace the trunk hinges. I have never owned a car that had trunk hinges fail, have you? Also, its brakes are really wierd, no feel. I thought I was buying Germany's best, but alas I bought a Plymouth with a three pointed star on the hood. What a shame. That star use to mean something.

Favorite Features

Styling. Interior design. Performance.

Suggested Improvements

Take charge and become the auto manufacturer you once were. The car is so technologically advanced that unfortunately Murphy has fun with this one. I am very dissapointed with the quality of this car.

my dream car ! ?
By muffin311

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This car is an absolute dream to drive but the quality of the interior is not what a 100K should be. Very cheap feel wnd sounding. Ride is MUCH noisier than I thought it should be. Gas milage @15mi/gal around town. New back body design makes it look like a cheap car and not identifiable as an expensive Mercedes SL. Although I always buy SL Mercedes, this will be my last unless they make the car LOOK like 100K

Favorite Features

The choice to change suspension for the road, retractable top, automatic everything possible, the car almost drives itself and "reads" the outside ( lights,windshield wipers).

Suggested Improvements

see Review--- also do something about big blind spot behind passenger seat and make wind protector lighter so traffic can be seen in rearview mirror.

Poser
By Corey Smith

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Least reliable vehicle I have ever experienced. Needs frequent, unscheduled visits to repair shop. A car's first priority should be quality and reliability. This car fails in that regard. 500 hp is irrelevant if the car is sitting once again in the dealer's repair shop.

Suggested Improvements

Build it better.

If you want a headache buy an SL500
By meredith

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I waited and waited for my Red 2003 Sl500 to come in. The car had problems for the beginning....from break problems, knocking noises, radio going off, roof noise bulbs going out...should i go on? The last time it was in for service...the dealership got into an accident with it. I have not seen the car for 2 months b/c they are still working on it. They just want to fix it and give it back!! I wish I sent my $104,000 on something else. Do yourself a favor buy a Corvette and pocket the money you save...best bang for the buck and headache free! If you do decide to buy one GOOD LUCK!

Suggested Improvements

302 HP....IT IS A DOG! ITS NOT A SPORTS CAR....NO KICK!