2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
Love this car
By mbownwr on 07/27/12 19:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL600 2dr Convertible (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

Driving it in city traffic is like having a domestic house cat sitting on you lap purring. Drop the hammer on the open road and it transforms into a Bengal Tiger.

This would be the best car if it was more reliable
By sir_turtle on 08/03/11 13:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this 4 years old from mercedes dealer in reno. The car looks turn heads EVERYWHERE, Such a pleasure to drive, the 7 speed tranny shifts so smooth that its hard to tell how fast u are going because the power band is so smooth. The suspension creates such a smooth ride that you will notice how different it is then other cars. This has been my absolute fav car to drive, but what a nightmare to own. Battery in the trunk went and cost 300$ for new. you have to go to the dealer for everything because they need to reset the computer or else the car will constantly shut off as a gimmick to get you to the dealer. also suspension valve went and cost $3000 to fix, very common problem

Premium Price -Poor Quality?
By Beautiful, Quality on 02/14/09 01:52 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Beautiful car that gets a lot of looks. Fit and finish are right on par with what you would expect from a Mercedes. We have had many problems with the quality of this car: Broken interior panels, faulty anti-lock relay, faulty anti-lock brake pump, broken baffles inside gas tank (had to replace gas tank!). Now the ignition system has just failed. 53,250 miles, and many rented loaners. We are glad to have bought the extended warranty.

Extremely Happy
By Armando on 12/14/08 13:51 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I purchased the SL500 from the original with 35k miles. I had a 1998 911 Porsche which I regret selling until I purchased this 2004 SL500. Reasons why: the hard top, the comfort, the sound system, and the look! I would not buy a new one, because of the minor changes, plus the money that I save. It's A great car to buy used because they are very reliable and lots of fun to drive. If you do buy an SL500 get an extended warranty because they become costly as they grow old!

New to the fold
By Happy in Alpharetta on 04/03/07 10:06 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Great car. My first Mercedes and my first convertible. Great torque and handling. A real eye catcher. Have only had it for 2 weeks and have had multiple comments on its good looks.

Worth the splurge
By Kevin on 09/23/06 17:18 PM (PDT)

Great car. Great finishes. This car will certainly grab the attention of others, especially if it's the V12.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Mike Caron on 07/21/06 09:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this car. Have owned 3 BMWs and Alfa Romeo Spider, the last year in the US and on and on and there is nothing like the head turning luxury and performance that you find in this automobile. I am amazed every time some kid pulls up next to me on the highway in some souped up car at how much guts this car has on the open road. Sounds good, and I've literally gotten standing ovations when the top goes down in all its glory!

My Sweet Silver SL500
By Susan C on 03/27/06 18:23 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

It's luxury, comfort and fun all in one car. It's a head turner and I get this all the time "nice car!"

Loving my '05 SL600
By tandan on 06/24/05 13:06 PM (PDT)

i have not yet put on 1000mi., but this is simply the most wonderful car I have ever driven. This car is an "iron fist in a velvet glove". It is smooth, silky, solid, and fast to drive. This black beauty is beautiful to behold, top up or down. This happens very quickly. The seats are comfortable, yet firm. Whether it's a trip to the store, or a cruise up north for a 100 miles, I can't wait to drive it.

Sophisticated Supercar
By Mike on 02/18/05 17:21 PM (PST)

Unbeatable combination of luxury, performance and practicality. Beautiful but does not attract unwanted attention. Comfortable,quiet and smooth, totally reliable (so far). Easy access to local dealer service (nearest Ferrari, Aston, or Bentley dealer is 100 miles away). Was considering Porsche Turbo but dealer wanted me to make an appointment to drive owner's used turbo, rather than the new one I wanted on the lot.