2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
This would be the best car if it was more reliable
By sir_turtle on 08/03/11 13:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this 4 years old from mercedes dealer in reno. The car looks turn heads EVERYWHERE, Such a pleasure to drive, the 7 speed tranny shifts so smooth that its hard to tell how fast u are going because the power band is so smooth. The suspension creates such a smooth ride that you will notice how different it is then other cars. This has been my absolute fav car to drive, but what a nightmare to own. Battery in the trunk went and cost 300$ for new. you have to go to the dealer for everything because they need to reset the computer or else the car will constantly shut off as a gimmick to get you to the dealer. also suspension valve went and cost $3000 to fix, very common problem

Premium Price -Poor Quality?
By Beautiful, Quality on 02/14/09 01:52 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Beautiful car that gets a lot of looks. Fit and finish are right on par with what you would expect from a Mercedes. We have had many problems with the quality of this car: Broken interior panels, faulty anti-lock relay, faulty anti-lock brake pump, broken baffles inside gas tank (had to replace gas tank!). Now the ignition system has just failed. 53,250 miles, and many rented loaners. We are glad to have bought the extended warranty.

Extremely Happy
By Armando on 12/14/08 13:51 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I purchased the SL500 from the original with 35k miles. I had a 1998 911 Porsche which I regret selling until I purchased this 2004 SL500. Reasons why: the hard top, the comfort, the sound system, and the look! I would not buy a new one, because of the minor changes, plus the money that I save. It's A great car to buy used because they are very reliable and lots of fun to drive. If you do buy an SL500 get an extended warranty because they become costly as they grow old!

New to the fold
By Happy in Alpharetta on 04/03/07 10:06 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Great car. My first Mercedes and my first convertible. Great torque and handling. A real eye catcher. Have only had it for 2 weeks and have had multiple comments on its good looks.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Mike Caron on 07/21/06 09:57 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this car. Have owned 3 BMWs and Alfa Romeo Spider, the last year in the US and on and on and there is nothing like the head turning luxury and performance that you find in this automobile. I am amazed every time some kid pulls up next to me on the highway in some souped up car at how much guts this car has on the open road. Sounds good, and I've literally gotten standing ovations when the top goes down in all its glory!

My Sweet Silver SL500
By Susan C on 03/27/06 18:23 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

It's luxury, comfort and fun all in one car. It's a head turner and I get this all the time "nice car!"

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL500 - UNRELIABLE
By MMATLOCK on 12/19/04 01:14 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Well, here we go. I bought my SL500 in March of '04 and immediately the top failed. It was recalled for brakes in June. Its transmission failed and had to be replaced in October. Rains came in November and the trunk/top leaked. The dealer assured me that this was an "isolated" incident. Unfortunately it happened to me. They had to replace the trunk hinges. I have never owned a car that had trunk hinges fail, have you? Also, its brakes are really wierd, no feel. I thought I was buying Germany's best, but alas I bought a Plymouth with a three pointed star on the hood. What a shame. That star use to mean something.

the best
By Deborah on 12/02/04 02:07 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is my 8th Mercedes and by far the most fun to drive. Not bad looking either!

Top of its class!
By JAGLovR on 11/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

After having owned 2 XKR's, I can say that the SL-class is a worthy adversary. Beauty (and brains) power this Mercedes machine! High-tech everything! VERY Comftorable! Fast! Fast! Fast!

The best car on the market
By nicki on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

i have owned so many cars and this car is by far the best car i have ever owned. awesome to drive the hard top is great and the confort is unbeleivable.