2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class 5.0L V8 7-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2004 Mercedes-benz Sl-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

2004 SL-Class Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
This would be the best car if it was more reliable
By sir_turtle

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this 4 years old from mercedes dealer in reno. The car looks turn heads EVERYWHERE, Such a pleasure to drive, the 7 speed tranny shifts so smooth that its hard to tell how fast u are going because the power band is so smooth. The suspension creates such a smooth ride that you will notice how different it is then other cars. This has been my absolute fav car to drive, but what a nightmare to own. Battery in the trunk went and cost 300$ for new. you have to go to the dealer for everything because they need to reset the computer or else the car will constantly shut off as a gimmick to get you to the dealer. also suspension valve went and cost $3000 to fix, very common problem

Suggested Improvements

better valves on the suspension, that hydraulic suspension makes the ride unbelieveabley smooth and nice, but the reliability of the system for maintancen is aweful, shame on mercedes for the crappy valves they used and for the extreme price their consumers have to pay to fix it, this is a very common problem in the SL and S class. beware

Premium Price -Poor Quality?
By Beautiful, Quality

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Beautiful car that gets a lot of looks. Fit and finish are right on par with what you would expect from a Mercedes. We have had many problems with the quality of this car: Broken interior panels, faulty anti-lock relay, faulty anti-lock brake pump, broken baffles inside gas tank (had to replace gas tank!). Now the ignition system has just failed. 53,250 miles, and many rented loaners. We are glad to have bought the extended warranty.

Favorite Features

Styling, performance.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system! The cup holders need to be moved, they block the navigation-radio controls when they are used.

Extremely Happy
By Armando

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I purchased the SL500 from the original with 35k miles. I had a 1998 911 Porsche which I regret selling until I purchased this 2004 SL500. Reasons why: the hard top, the comfort, the sound system, and the look! I would not buy a new one, because of the minor changes, plus the money that I save. It's A great car to buy used because they are very reliable and lots of fun to drive. If you do buy an SL500 get an extended warranty because they become costly as they grow old!

Favorite Features

The powerful engine, the handling, the look, and the reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk space is too small.

New to the fold
By Happy in Alpharetta

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Great car. My first Mercedes and my first convertible. Great torque and handling. A real eye catcher. Have only had it for 2 weeks and have had multiple comments on its good looks.

Favorite Features

Retractable hard top. Really cool and very minimal wind turbulence with top down.

Suggested Improvements

Nav system is pitiful. Out dated and really clunky to use. Needs improvement ASAP.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Mike Caron

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this car. Have owned 3 BMWs and Alfa Romeo Spider, the last year in the US and on and on and there is nothing like the head turning luxury and performance that you find in this automobile. I am amazed every time some kid pulls up next to me on the highway in some souped up car at how much guts this car has on the open road. Sounds good, and I've literally gotten standing ovations when the top goes down in all its glory!

Favorite Features

The top, performance

Suggested Improvements

Little quicker off the line performance or 0-60

My Sweet Silver SL500
By Susan C

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

It's luxury, comfort and fun all in one car. It's a head turner and I get this all the time "nice car!"

Favorite Features

Convertable top retracts so fast. The massaging and airconditioned seats are awsome. Talk about luxury!

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of one.

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL500 - UNRELIABLE
By MMATLOCK

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Well, here we go. I bought my SL500 in March of '04 and immediately the top failed. It was recalled for brakes in June. Its transmission failed and had to be replaced in October. Rains came in November and the trunk/top leaked. The dealer assured me that this was an "isolated" incident. Unfortunately it happened to me. They had to replace the trunk hinges. I have never owned a car that had trunk hinges fail, have you? Also, its brakes are really wierd, no feel. I thought I was buying Germany's best, but alas I bought a Plymouth with a three pointed star on the hood. What a shame. That star use to mean something.

Favorite Features

Styling. Interior design. Performance.

Suggested Improvements

Take charge and become the auto manufacturer you once were. The car is so technologically advanced that unfortunately Murphy has fun with this one. I am very dissapointed with the quality of this car.

the best
By Deborah

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is my 8th Mercedes and by far the most fun to drive. Not bad looking either!

Favorite Features

ease of maneuvering, tight vehicle

Top of its class!
By JAGLovR

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

After having owned 2 XKR's, I can say that the SL-class is a worthy adversary. Beauty (and brains) power this Mercedes machine! High-tech everything! VERY Comftorable! Fast! Fast! Fast!

Favorite Features

In-Car Motorola V60, Voice Control, Sat Nav, TeleAid, Sound System! AND OF COURSE..... THE CONVERTIBLE Hard Top! Goes from Coupe to Roadster in 12 seconds flat!

Suggested Improvements

DVD NAV!, Use More Wood and LESS PLASTIC for the cabin design!

The best car on the market
By nicki

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

i have owned so many cars and this car is by far the best car i have ever owned. awesome to drive the hard top is great and the confort is unbeleivable.

Favorite Features

Hard top convertible, engine power, handling, and slick look.

Suggested Improvements

nothing