2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:
Love this car
By mbownwr on 07/27/12 19:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL600 2dr Convertible (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

Driving it in city traffic is like having a domestic house cat sitting on you lap purring. Drop the hammer on the open road and it transforms into a Bengal Tiger.

This would be the best car if it was more reliable
By sir_turtle on 08/03/11 13:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I bought this 4 years old from mercedes dealer in reno. The car looks turn heads EVERYWHERE, Such a pleasure to drive, the 7 speed tranny shifts so smooth that its hard to tell how fast u are going because the power band is so smooth. The suspension creates such a smooth ride that you will notice how different it is then other cars. This has been my absolute fav car to drive, but what a nightmare to own. Battery in the trunk went and cost 300$ for new. you have to go to the dealer for everything because they need to reset the computer or else the car will constantly shut off as a gimmick to get you to the dealer. also suspension valve went and cost $3000 to fix, very common problem

Six years makes no difference
By Billy V on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I've always wanted a supercar, a 2-seater and a convertible. We got all three and got it in this car. I've always enjoyed driving, have favored Mercedes over other brands once I started buying them. I had Audi and BMW top line cars in the past and the final kicker than makes the Benz best for me (besides being able to handle my 1.97 m height)is superior quality and service. The M-B people have always taken exceptional care of my cars and I am a fussy one. Buying a 2004 model, the only real limitation I did not pay enough attention to was the dated transmission, it does not shift responsively enough with that motor and especially with the steering wheel buttons/early paddle shifters.

Premium Price -Poor Quality?
By Beautiful, Quality on 02/14/09 01:52 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Beautiful car that gets a lot of looks. Fit and finish are right on par with what you would expect from a Mercedes. We have had many problems with the quality of this car: Broken interior panels, faulty anti-lock relay, faulty anti-lock brake pump, broken baffles inside gas tank (had to replace gas tank!). Now the ignition system has just failed. 53,250 miles, and many rented loaners. We are glad to have bought the extended warranty.

Dream Car
By ab star on 01/30/09 15:11 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

The best combination of any car ever built. It's a sports car (use only the manual transmission and the steering wheel metal gear changers); it's a luxury car with a sports car or luxury car suspension; it can cruise mildly or attack corners; it's beautiful (silver ties whole car together); it's a hardtop for foul weather and winter and a convertible - incredible. There may be better cars for any one item but none with this combination at such a high level.

The Ultimate Car
By apb on 01/26/09 15:01 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

This car has it all; performance of a supercar, beautiful in and out, luxury, hardtop and convertible. Drive it only in Manual Mode and the suspension and transmission rivals race cars yet it is so full of luxury and a convertible of hard top for winter or foul weather.

Extremely Happy
By Armando on 12/14/08 13:51 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I purchased the SL500 from the original with 35k miles. I had a 1998 911 Porsche which I regret selling until I purchased this 2004 SL500. Reasons why: the hard top, the comfort, the sound system, and the look! I would not buy a new one, because of the minor changes, plus the money that I save. It's A great car to buy used because they are very reliable and lots of fun to drive. If you do buy an SL500 get an extended warranty because they become costly as they grow old!

Poser
By Corey Smith on 05/04/08 20:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Least reliable vehicle I have ever experienced. Needs frequent, unscheduled visits to repair shop. A car's first priority should be quality and reliability. This car fails in that regard. 500 hp is irrelevant if the car is sitting once again in the dealer's repair shop.

Leg room
By ron on 04/11/08 23:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

The car handles well, I gave up a 650i I am 6,5" and had a lot more leg room than the SL gives. More color choice and wish the seat would go back even more. Overall love the car

It should Fly
By rick on 11/25/07 21:24 PM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I have owned Ferrari, other AMG Mercedes, several SL500's, Corvette's, and I would divorce my wife before giving up this car for any reason. I can't wait to go to work in the morning to drive down the winding grade I live on top of, and going up is just as exhilarating. This is the best car I have ever owned. I also own the S550 and never drive it....why would I?