2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Review: SL55 just OK

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Consumer Review

SL55 just OK
By Phil's View SL55 on

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I have had this car since Nov 2002, but don't drive it much. The car is fast ,but drive by wire needs work [touchy brakes and lack of trottle response at times is dangerous. I had a defective digital display which was replaced but not improved. The dealer refused to let me speak to factory rep. After a year, I finally got the dealer to compare to another SL and they finally fixed it. Stereo amp blew out and had to be replaced. Sound system is average at best. Why do you have to push a button to use the steering wheel shift controls? Command center is way too complex. Nav system is very difficult and inaccurate. A stunning car, but I prefer to drive my 1998 Corvette Convertible.

Stunning good looks. Fast and easy top up/down. Freeway acceleration is unbelievable.

The old CD based navigation system is a joke. Why not have in dash CD changer like you can get in a Honda. The drive by wire accelerator and brakes are terrible and dangerous. The stereo and Nav system are average at best. You can't even fade the sound front to back.