Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz Sl-class - Consumer Reviews

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

Most Helpful|
MERCEDES SL 500 2003
By mgan

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

It's great fun to drive.The ease of operation of the convertible top encourages use. The many added features of convenience make driving much more pleasurable. The car is beatiful inside and out. It is a much superior car to my 1999 model.

Favorite Features

see above

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of offhand.

Wow, but it stinks
By jcj001

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is the latest in my car habit. Before this I had an 02 Carrerra, an 02 M3 convertible, an 01 Vette Coupe, a 99 430E, and a 97 540i. This is by far the best car that I have owned. The interior is great, and the command system is quite useful. The exterior is simply marvelous. I have the smell problem as mentioned in other reviews. MB of Annapolis sold it to me knowing it, then promised to fix it (had the car three weeks after I only had it a week), and it needs to go back in. They refused to give me my money back. MB of Annapolis has seen its last dollar from me, and I would recommend anybody else staying away from them too.

Favorite Features

Nice Top feature, and you can talk with the top down. Some sunroofs are noisier.

Suggested Improvements

More front seat room for those of us that are tall.

None better!
By OVERTHETOP

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned 4 MB's, a Porsche, and numerous other European vehicles. I've driven them all for pleasure. None for day to day. I've never had a MB that dissappointed me..including my SL500. My Porsche 996 was in the shop every other week..literally, for "check engine lights. It never was resolved. Save your money and buy this car. I'm over 6'6", and wide, and am comfortable. Interior design is remarkable. The car is in the shop for scheduled maintenance only. Come to think of it, I don't know that I've ever had a major problem with any MB. It's fast, sleek, handles on a rail, looks fabulous, runs magnificently. I don't know what else I could ask for. I'm just glad that I bought this car.

Favorite Features

The power convertible top. The Bose sound system. The interior lighting at night. The engine power. It's a MB. That's all I need to know.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk is way small. As others say, there is no dipstick. The only oil indicator is an idiot light. build the engine to be owner serviceable. It isn't now. Some have ragged this car because of the MB/Chrysler union. The car was built in Stuttgart. If it can be improved upon, I don't know it.

Great Car Lotsa Fun
By IvanUSA

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is a an exeptional vehicle, hardtop convertible roadster. This is my second one with AMG package on it just not supercharged. I highly recomend this car to every one

Favorite Features

Disctronic system

Suggested Improvements

Do not change model often

It's all about appearances.
By berwanger1

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is the most beautiful car I have owned...really turns heads. Interior would score equally high but for the use of too much hard, cheap plastic. Handling and power are just okay, hampered by the excessive weight of the car. Problem is, such a striking exterior design and the high price raise expectations of super performance and quality materials. Not the case. Leather is cracking and discoloring. Paint seems thin; chips easily Also, lots of noise coming from under the car, like gears whining, bearings grinding, yet everything is okay. Noise level is unacceptable in car of this rank. Dealer service has been great, but parts are ridiculously expensive. Not a great drive.

Favorite Features

Exterior design. Exceptional "Stare factor". Retractable hard top. Standard wheels. Car handles well in Michigan snow when fitted with Dunlop winter tires. Electric spare tire pump. Interior ambient lighting.

Suggested Improvements

Less road, tire and drivetrain noise. Better interior materials. More power. Better paint. Better sounding stereo w 6 disc IN DASH. Improve poor leather & wood trim quality. Navigation system is awful. Get real about cost of replacement parts; e.g. rear center brake lens-$300! More features.