Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

Stay away!
By earbon

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

As a starter the value of that car is dropping like a rock in a lake with no bottom. The real trade in value is between $25000.00 and $31000.00 at best. I was lucky to buy it with a POC on it otherwise I would have left my wallet at the dealer. Lots of squeaking and annoying noise coming from the chassis. Lots of problem with the electronic, seat wont recline and suddenly they do, the lighting. The air ride suspension is nice but unreliable and can collapse at any time. They had to replace the whole rear end at 48000 miles. Please stay away from Mercedes benz and leave MB where they deserve to be, in bankruptcy.

The look is very sexy!

Excellent Car!
By Loan Lady

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I drove the Lexus convertable and fell in lust. But not until I drove the 2003 MB 500 SL that I fell in love! Great steering radius and serious power and performance. MB is back!

Engine sound. All the bells and whistles are amazing. The hard top is really amazing how fast and quite it is when you put the top down. I am amazed as you can hear yourself think when you drive, unlike other convertibles.

Seats! Why can't any one design a seat that goes up really high? This car has wonderful power seats, but needs to be able to allow driver to sit higher.

My Retirement Gift
By Ray's Dream Car

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I could not be happier with the purchase of my 2003 500SL. Its performance, luxury appointments, and over all wow factor is amazing. I never thought that a retired school teacher would be fortunate enough to own a car of this quality.

The SL's styling and luxury appointments are beyond parallel for a car in this price range.

The navigation system is not user friendly.

None better!
By OVERTHETOP

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I've owned 4 MB's, a Porsche, and numerous other European vehicles. I've driven them all for pleasure. None for day to day. I've never had a MB that dissappointed me..including my SL500. My Porsche 996 was in the shop every other week..literally, for "check engine lights. It never was resolved. Save your money and buy this car. I'm over 6'6", and wide, and am comfortable. Interior design is remarkable. The car is in the shop for scheduled maintenance only. Come to think of it, I don't know that I've ever had a major problem with any MB. It's fast, sleek, handles on a rail, looks fabulous, runs magnificently. I don't know what else I could ask for. I'm just glad that I bought this car.

The power convertible top. The Bose sound system. The interior lighting at night. The engine power. It's a MB. That's all I need to know.

The trunk is way small. As others say, there is no dipstick. The only oil indicator is an idiot light. build the engine to be owner serviceable. It isn't now. Some have ragged this car because of the MB/Chrysler union. The car was built in Stuttgart. If it can be improved upon, I don't know it.

SL500 is a dog
By sally

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Convertible SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

3 years and 20K miles of nothing but trouble. brakes and battery/electrical problems constantly. Been towed in 4X. Gave up on it so it now looks great sitting in the garage!

Fun to drive when it's running. Impressive.

Scrap and redesign entire electrical system.