Used 2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mercedes-benz Sl-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific SL-Class model:

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By azmike

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Without reservation this is the best car I have owned. The styling is fantastic and everything feels classy. Looked at Jag, Lexus SC and magazie previews of new cadillac--no comparision in my judgment.

Favorite Features

Styling, comfort (great seats), convertible top mechanism, performance, and res-sale value.

Suggested Improvements

I would change only 2 things: switch from CD to DVD based naviagation system and CD player should be 6 disc in dash like most competitors.

Better than a Porsche C4 S
By Charles Day

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

After owning and driving C4 Porsches, this SL55 AMG is the best. It has the torque of the Porsche Turbo and the fun of a convertible without the inconveniences of removing the hard top. While the Porsche intimidated my wife, the SL 55 AMG is wife friendly. The stability management system was comparable to the Porsche. The parking assist, navigation system, and high performance sound system was superior.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the folding hard top, roll bar with integrated windscreen.

Suggested Improvements

Having experience the advantages of the all wheel drive of the C4 on and off the race track (at high performance driving schools), Mercedes Benz AMG should introduce the 4matic all wheel drive to the drive train.

mid life convertable
By jack1560

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

i have made it. driving this car shows i know automobles. i have owned bmw, Ferrari and many many cars. The car handles like it is on a rail. With the top down and the roll bar up i can still maintain a conversation with my passenger without yelling. I like driving the car by myself and just get into the driving and shifting.

Favorite Features

has to be the top and the roll bar. In Hawaii it will be sunning and than all of a sudden it will rain. At a stop light. No problem 17 secounds later the top is up and i will remain dry. The top is down 95% of the time. My wife has no complants about messing her hair.

Suggested Improvements

I liked the comfort seats i had in my bmw. i think mb should come out with 16 way power seats for more back support. The paint is a little thin and will show scatches easy. I have a black 500. The last thing is to come out with larger tires and different wheels with chrome.

awsome
By molson

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

The sl 55 is the best car I had ever had.I have 10 cars.I like the sl 55 the best.The have a thing you can push (sos) if there is ever a emergency witch will call mb care.If you want a good nice car get the sl 55

Favorite Features

I like the gps system.Emergency keys.The airbags witch call the police if they go off.The driving system brakes.

Suggested Improvements

They should have a thing on the car that will see if the car is floding and call the police if so.

hands down best car
By MICHAEL ZARABI

2003 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class SL55 AMG 2dr Convertible (5.5L 8cyl S/C 5A)

a gtr car without the price tag. this is one of the fastest and most luxurious cars on the market. I wouldnt trade it for any other car.

Favorite Features

SPEED

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE, BUT I GUESS I JUST DRIVE TOO FAST